INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Holiday in USA  (Read 2577 times)

JollyJim

• World Citizen
Holiday in USA
« on: May 02, 2017, 07:15:27 am »

Hi everybody,

Myself and the BossLady are coming for a visit in June....5 days in NYC, fly to Memphis for 3 days, hire car to Nashville for 6
days to include the CMA, drive to Chatanooga for 4 days and then drive to Atlanta for 6 days before flying back from there
to London.

We are both old-bodied crocks but mentally still youngsters. I've been to NYC before but neither of us have been to the
other places.

I just wondered if anyone had any suggestions for us to visit, see etc other then the normal touristy bits ....y'know, what the
Yanks might do that the Limeys might never otherwise get to see, hear, smell, eat etc etc..

Any suggestions would be gratefully considered - thanks in advance.

Rozanne and JIm

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Holiday in USA
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 05:49:58 pm »

Off the top of my head:

Memphis:  Memphis is extremely famous for it's Barbecue (BBQ).  In particular it's pulled pork and/or baby back ribs.  Seek out a good BBQ place or two there.

Nashville:  "Hot chken" is a style of fried CHikn made with hot spices in the coating and hot sauce either poured on, or cooked on in some way.  I've never had it, but it's on my list the next time I make it to that area.

Atlanta:  Just outside of Atlanta is a place called Stone Mountain.  It's a park with all kinds of stuff to see, and a small flat sided mountain as a central feature.  I remember little about the park, but I VIVIDLY remember the laser show that they do at night and project it on to the side of the mountain!

http://www.stonemountainpark.com/Activities/Shows-Entertainment

In NYC, I would try to find a small neighborhood pizza place and have real authentic Tri-state pizza.  It's probably different than any pizza you've ever had:  Thin, crispy, great sauce, and well cooked.  NYC is also famous for it's steak houses with dry (and wet) aged beef.  But those tend to be rather expensive.

Why are most of my suggestions about food?!?!?  :)

...and why in the world did the forum convert the word for a domesticated bird that everyone eats world wide (C---ken) into the word for a snake?

Brian.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 06:18:04 pm »

...and why in the world did the forum convert the word for a domesticated bird that everyone eats world wide (C---ken) into the word for a snake?
You can probably blame Nathan for that :D

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 06:30:09 pm »

You can probably blame Nathan for that :D
And if he does it again, we're going to turn Nathan into a python.

JollyJim

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 05:51:54 am »

Hi chaps, well, let's be honest - the underlying question was really all about food, but I had the BossLady sitting on my shoulder and she
has a bit more culture than me...(actually, most people have more culture than me.....). But anyway, thanks for the replies. Stone Mountain sounds great and we'll
definitely go there to see the local cuisine errrrr, I mean , to see the laser show.

We're stopping in Chattanooga  basically, just for a couple of days rest after the CMA at Nashville. I know nothing of this City apart from the tune, so has anyone
some suggestions for lazy times at Chattanooga ?

Has anyone been to the CMA ? What's it like ? We're very much looking forward to it but we don't get too much coverage of it in England.

Once again, thanks for the replies - it's very much appreciated. Have a good day - Jim

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2017, 08:32:32 pm »

And if he does it again, we're going to turn Nathan into a python.

It's amazing the things you can get delivered in the US   8)
JRiver CEO Elect

Krazykanuck

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2017, 06:21:35 pm »

If you're into aquariums the Tennessee Aquarium in Chattanooga is one of the best.
For something different Ruby's falls is a waterfall inside a mountain.

JollyJim

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2017, 01:50:59 pm »

Hiya Krazykanuck

Thanks very much for that. I'll check it out, sounds good !!!

Best wishes Jim

JollyJim

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2017, 05:13:33 am »

Hiya Krazykanuck again

We looked at both of the suggestions you gave and they are definitely going on
the itinerary.

Thanks again for your time - best wishes....Jim
Pages: [1]   Go Up