INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbie Info - Network Setup help needed  (Read 1012 times)

Dai Guinness

• Recent member
Newbie Info - Network Setup help needed
« on: May 03, 2017, 09:33:52 am »

Hi Guys,

Tried searching the FAQs and forum but a lot of the info is relating to older versions so wanted to be sure.  Forgive the inexperience but most of this stuff is new to me.

I've just bought a new HTPC (Windows 10 64bit) and want to use that to store my media files so I can access them on other machines around the house.  HTPC has Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 2.5inch SSD, i5 6400 2.7GHz Socket 1151 6MB L3 Processor, HyperX 16GB (2x8GB) 2400MHz DDR4 Non-ECC CL15 1.2V Memory and Asus B150I PRO GAMING/AURA Intel Socket 1151 DVI HDMI 8-Channel HD Audio Mini ITX Motherboard using the onboard graphics and 2 x 3TB WD red drives for storage.

The HTPC goes to a GB switch with other machines networked to that.  I need a MC that will handle all aspects of the home playing, movies, DVR but was especially taken with the audio playback that JRiver offers so have decided on this.  I've installed JRiver V22 and set up the library on there as a shared folder.  That is pretty much where my knowledge on networking ends I'm afraid. Is it now a simple case of installing JRiver on the other devices and pointing the library to the same shared folder on the HTPC or am I being hopelessly and naively optimistic ;D

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Newbie Info - Network Setup help needed
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 09:42:55 am »

The wiki should be accurate on the network aspects.  Where did you see something that seemed out of date?

The Media Network topic should get you started.  Set up a machine that also runs Media Server and then connect to it from other machines.

Dai Guinness

• Recent member
Re: Newbie Info - Network Setup help needed
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 11:34:11 am »

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the pointer, all sorted and much simpler than I imagined.  I was looking at the WIKI page somewhere and started reading something about MC16 which is why I headed for the Forum - can only think I was looking at something from a while back.  I expect I'll be back sometime soon but meanwhile thanks for the help.

Dave

Pages: [1]   Go Up