INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: interrested in buying JRiver but have some questions....  (Read 2985 times)

bsk

I am a Mac user that is not happy with iTunes and am looking for a replacement. 
I currently have a Mac mini as a household entertainment server with Drobo External HDD .  As clients I have 4 more mac minis attached to receivers and monitors (TVs) in the house.  We also have 3 MacBooks  and 2 iMacs that are used (in addition to iPhones and iPads).  They are all connected via WiFi or wired LAN.

I am currently using Plex as my media (movie/video) library, and that is working fine.  would like to replace iTunes however.

So, the question is,  is JRiver Media Center the right product for me?
Should I buy a server license to install on the mac mini server and will that serve the whole "household" or must I buy a license for each unit?  What is the best way to use and set up Media Center in my environment?
Will Media Center totally replace iTunes and can I have playlists,  also can I sync so that my playlists are available on iPhones and iPad?
Can I also put movies on the Media Center library that can be synced to the iPads?

Thankful for any advise!
bsk

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: interrested in buying JRiver but have some questions....
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 05:14:21 pm »

So, the question is,  is JRiver Media Center the right product for me?

Maybe.  MC is more complex than itunes, but it's also far more powerful.  Unfortunately, MC doesn't integrate into the Apple ecosystem very well. It runs great on Apple computers and works with all Apple music formats (other than DRM files).  But there are limitations.

Should I buy a server license to install on the mac mini server and will that serve the whole "household" or must I buy a license for each unit?

Fortunately for you, MC's licensing is absurdly generous.  One license allows you to install it on as many computers as you own within reason.  The computers you described in your post would all be covered by a single license.

What is the best way to use and set up Media Center in my environment?

That's a very complex question that I'm not going to tackle.

Will Media Center totally replace iTunes and can I have playlists,  also can I sync so that my playlists are available on iPhones and iPad?
Can I also put movies on the Media Center library that can be synced to the iPads?

In short, Yes, yes, no, and no.  Sync with i-devices is spotty at best.  There are workarounds, but they require a good bit of setup.  I have not personally tried any of them.  I no longer own any i-devices.

You can import playlists from itunes and/or you can build your own.  Importing is a one by one proposition; that's not too bad if you have 30 playlists.  It's bad if you have 300.

I will personally never go back to itunes.  Why?  Oh I'm glad you asked.  :-)

1. Itunes pulls the rug out from under it's users, on average, once a year.  That feature that you loved?  Gone.  Itunes just removes features willy nilly, and adds new ones that are weird and hard to use.  There is no stability with itunes in this regard.
2.  The look and feel change constantly, as per the above.  Once you get used to managing your library in a certain way, they change it all around so that it looks "fresh and new and shiny", but then require you to relearn the basics.  This is extremely frustrating.
3.  ITunes thinks it's smarter than you and does all kinds of invasive crap under the covers like moving your imported files to different directories.  MC never does these types of operations unless you explicitly tell it to.
4.  Backups.  Hey itunes, how do I back up my library metadata?  "What's a backup?"  MC makes library backups automatically every few days.  You can make one manually any time you want.  These backups can be used to restore to a point in time, or to move your library to a new system.  ...and it WORKS!  I've tested it many times doing different operations.
5.  Itunes won't play FLAC.  They invented their own mildly goofy lossless format for some unknown reason.  FLAC is essentially the defacto standard for lossless music.  I want to use it.  So itunes loses here too.
6.  Video (Music, TV shows, video clips, etc) support.  Itunes is very focused on the ITunes Music Store for video.  MC works with video from anywhere as long as it doesn't have DRM.  It's also very powerful in it's ability to organize video.

I could probably go on, but those are the high points.

The good news about all of this for you is that MC has a fully functional 30 day trial.  No limits, no removed features.  It's 100% the same as once you buy a license.  It just times out after 30 days and stops working.  So you can test it "live" on your systems and decide if it works for you.

I think you'll like MC.  I'm unsure about the best way to use it with many computers; that's outside of my current experience.  But if you use Media Network with it, it might "just work" for you.  In my limited testing, Media Network with one server and one client seemed to work pretty well.

Come back and ask more questions if you want.

Good luck!

Brian.

bsk

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2017, 05:09:17 pm »

Thank you so much for your quick answer.  I just installed the trial version, and of course (amateur that I am made a mistake...).  Just posted it as a question, but here is a copy of it....

I installed the trial version of Media Center for Mac and made a mistake (pointing to the wrong audio file).  How do I delete everything and start from scratch again?
Sorry for the elementary question!
thnx
bsk

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017, 06:21:10 pm »

Grrr, I wrote a bunch of stuff, hit backspace at the wrong moment, and lost the lot. So below is a brief answer. Brian is the Mac expert here, but my interpretation of your questions is a little different.

Will Media Center totally replace iTunes.
Yes, except that you need to use iTunes to sync to your iDevice, because Apple locks everything down. You don't, however, need to use iTunes to manage your library or anything. Just use it as the conduit to move your media to your iDevice.

can I have playlists
Yes. No exceptions.

can I sync so that my playlists are available on iPhones and iPad?
Yes. But as above, iTunes is a required step. I didn't interpret this question as "Can I sync my iTunes playlists into MC", but rather "Can playlists in MC be synced to my iDevice."
See:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,97847.msg676123.html#msg676123   Take note of the "File > Export to iTunes & iPhone" option.
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Sync_Handheld
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,51734.0.html
Then search some more.

Yes, I think so. But I've never tried. It would depend on whether iTunes would sync movies to your iDevice from a hard disk location I believe.
The MC "Sync Handheld" functionality can certainly sync movies and other video, plus images and audio, to a device that will accept them. In the case of an iDevice, this will need to happen via a virtual device on your hard disk. MC can also convert the format for you so that the ultimate target iDevice would be capable of playing the media. That is all available in the "Sync Handheld" options. Once you have all the converted media and playlists in the virtual device, theoretically iTunes would sync it to the iDevice. I've never tried that though. Worth a try anyway.

Just a few thoughts. There are many discussions touching on this in the forum. Note that I no longer use any iDevices on a daily basis, and so I have forgotten lots of stuff about syncing to them!
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

dfortney

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2017, 07:56:38 pm »

Regarding 'sync' to iDevices you can setup MC as a DLNA server and control it via WebGizmo or even JRemote from any device.  Not sure if this is what you were asking or not.  It even lets you play different songs from your server music library on the iDevice then what it is playing on the machine of the server.  I haven't experimented with 'zones' but I think that is what you are trying to do regarding the other client mac minis but in terms of triggering playback of playlists or music from your library sure you can do that from any iDevice.

Grundgütigster

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2017, 03:44:43 pm »

I'm probably a bit late.  ;D

I'm a long time Mac user and started to hate iTunes a couple of years ago. When I decided to switch to uncompressed music in a free format (FLAC), iTunes was obsolete anyway. I switched to MC because it then was the only program that offered bit perfect playing plus sorting music albums within a music group by year (I had a Naim system before and they wouldn't let me sort my music this way with their tool).

Anyway. I put MC on an older Mac Mini which I now only use for music playing and MC does the rest. The Mac runs headless and all my music is stored on the internal hard drive. I can control everything with JRemote on my iPad (which unfortunatelly doesn't sort musc albums by year  >:(  ), but am happy with this solution. HAveing lots of Mac Minis you know that it's quite easy to access the Mac Mini with the Finder.
Pages: [1]   Go Up