INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Space bar = play. Can I change that?  (Read 3259 times)

stumpygremlin

• World Citizen
Space bar = play. Can I change that?
« on: May 05, 2017, 08:35:54 pm »

In my library views, as I'm using my keyboard to scroll, I noticed that my space bar causes the song that's selected to start playing. Can I turn that off? If so, how?

TXgary

• Galactic Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
Re: Space bar = play. Can I change that?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 05:49:51 pm »

I have the same question.  Use to be able to type an artist with a space between
example:  willie nelson
now when I type willie and hit "space" it plays the first willie it finds.  not what I wanted.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 06:22:56 pm »

I have the same question.  Use to be able to type an artist with a space between
example:  willie nelson
now when I type willie and hit "space" it plays the first willie it finds.  not what I wanted.
I can't duplicate that.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 06:50:11 pm »

You may be able to use a custom Resources.xml file and assign the space bar to nothing or some other type of null command. I haven't tested this.

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/User_Defined_Global_Keyboard_Shortcuts

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2017, 06:52:03 pm »

Definitely happens here.  From an albums view, I start typing the name of the album and then press space.  Space plays whatever is in playing now.

Now, my keyboard configuration is customized, so I might be seeing something others don't.  But it matches the other posters' experiences.  <shrug>

In practice this doesn't really affect me.  If I want to search for something, I type in the search box.

Brian.

andrewberg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2017, 07:41:04 pm »

With me too, pressing space starts playback... Must have started after the last update... (I also remember it happening 1-2 years ago, until the next update made it disappear again...)

Anyway, nice to see that others also use 'keyboard navigation', which browses the entire file list (unlike the ctrl+f search box does), and is usually quicker than opening the Quick Search field (ctrl+q) before you type...
I always use keyboard navigation to jump to titles in my movies' list... please try to restore the old space bar behaviour! Thank you.

Edit: The current default Resource.xml has this line for the Space key:

Code: [Select]
    <Entry Key="Space" Command="10000" Param="-1" TranslateFlags="401" />

(Where Command="10000" is for Play/Pause) I guess if we changed the TranslateFlags, say to "8" (=fullscreen only, ruling out any others), we'd have the old behaviour back? Not sure what Param="-1" does though... (?)

"To be is to do" (Socrates) - "To do is to be" (Sartre) - "Do be do be do" (Sinatra)

TXgary

• Galactic Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2017, 10:36:35 pm »

Jim
This is a real problem.
I have used Keyboard navigation for years.
Easy to just start typing in the artist field or song or album, up pops the item you are looking for and can play it or just review.
The "space bar" has not affect.  At least that was the way it was in release 21 and before to my knowledge and I have been a user for years and years.  When I start typing and press the "space bar" music starts playing.
Wanting Willie Nelson, but only getting to the first time Willie appears.
Hope you can fix this soon.

andrewberg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2017, 01:21:36 pm »

The solution is in the default Resource.xml file (for details see this article, already linked by BryanC above: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/User_Defined_Global_Keyboard_Shortcuts):

If you open that file (path: "..\MC [your version]\Data\Default Resources\Resource.xml') in a text editor, find the following line to control the desired space bar action:

Code: [Select]
<Entry Key="Space" Command="10000" Param="-1" TranslateFlags="401" />
Change the value for "TranslateFlags" from "401" to "8" (this flag tells MC to only 'translate' a space bar press into a 'Play/Pause' command when in fullscreen/video mode).
The current flag '401' only translates space bar press action into 'space character' when in text based input fields, otherwise the default 'Play/Pause' command is performed...
The MC developers seem to change this flag every now and then, maybe so to test which behaviour the users like better ;-)
"To be is to do" (Socrates) - "To do is to be" (Sartre) - "Do be do be do" (Sinatra)

TXgary

• Galactic Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2017, 01:46:44 pm »

Yes that works, but must open as "admin".
FYI - MM21 has "401" in it's Resource.xml file and it works correctly (the way I would say is correct).
I don't understand why the user would need to do this? 
It should be an option at least.
I'm just saying

andrewberg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2017, 02:27:01 pm »

FYI - MM21 has "401" in it's Resource.xml file and it works correctly (the way I would say is correct).
I don't understand why the user would need to do this?

Neither do I, but for me the space bar should do nothing else, except in fullscreen mode, so I used the available information to resolve the issue at least for us, affected users...

Could this 'non standard' behaviour depend on the presence of other media players that (can) assign global keys for Play/Pause etc, like a media keyboard would, under Windows...??

TXgary

• Galactic Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2017, 02:29:25 pm »

I appreciate your information and the help to solve this problem.

Piro

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2017, 07:07:47 am »

I'd just like to say that this problem occurred for me after the previous update, having never encountered it before in any version of Media Centre. Changing resource.xml as described fixed the problem.

Thanks andrewberg.
Pages: [1]   Go Up