INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best practice for consolidating all audio sources (BD, DVD, FLAC)?  (Read 1840 times)

andrewdpooch

I'm using MC 19.  If what I'm describing is s limitation of MC19, let me know and I'll buy the new version.

Up until a few years ago, most the music I imported was either from a CD (rip->FLAC->import), DVD (rip->VIDEO_TS->import), or some other random audio/video format.  To keep my DVD and CD based music by the same artist together, I would Media Type for video formats to 'audio'; this worked nicely; a DVD menu would be displayed for DVD rips with no loss in functionality.

However, when it comes to the Blu-ray based music that I've been buying, I find that setting the Media Type to 'audio' doesn't cut it, mainly because the right-click menu seems to be limited to DVD type functionality; for example, it only lets you change chapters; it doesn't let you changed titles or streams.  So much of the content on my Pink Floyd "Wish You Were Here" Immersion Blu-Ray cannot be accessed unless the Media Type is 'video'.  I have no work around for this other than keeping my BD based audio under the 'video' tree, away from the non-BD content by the same artist.

I hope I've illustrated the problem.  It looks like the line between video and audio has be seriously blurred by HD Audio available on BD.  Has this problem been solved in a newer version?  I have 46000+ tracks in my library so I'm not motivated and changing the way I organize or start from scratch.

Thanks in advance!

~OHM~

• Citizen of the Universe
  • "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
Re: Best practice for consolidating all audio sources (BD, DVD, FLAC)?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2017, 06:34:45 am »

I'm using MC 19.  If what I'm describing is s limitation of MC19, let me know and I'll buy the new version.

I have 46000+ tracks in my library so I'm not motivated and changing the way I organize or start from scratch.

Thanks in advance!

either way I would grab the upgrade now at the reduced price....there were significant changes for music in MC20 or MC21...not sure which one but that carries over to MC22 and MC23....so if you buy MC23 now you are getting 2-for the price of one.... MC22 (now) and MC23 when it's released....just saying! of course there is a 30day free trial for MC22 all you need to do is create a current back up of MC19....install MC22 and then install the MC19 back up.....now you would need to reanalyze your files to get the new benefits of MC22

However, when it comes to the Blu-ray based music that I've been buying, I find that setting the Media Type to 'audio' doesn't cut it, mainly because the right-click menu seems to be limited to DVD type functionality; for example, it only lets you change chapters; it doesn't let you changed titles or streams.  So much of the content on my Pink Floyd "Wish You Were Here" Immersion Blu-Ray cannot be accessed unless the Media Type is 'video'.  I have no work around for this other than keeping my BD based audio under the 'video' tree, away from the non-BD content by the same artist.

I hope I've illustrated the problem.  It looks like the line between video and audio has be seriously blurred by HD Audio available on BD.  Has this problem been solved in a newer version?  I have 46000+ tracks in my library so I'm not motivated and changing the way I organize or start from scratch.

Thanks in advance!

leave as video and use grouping tag on ALL files you need to group

“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

andrewdpooch

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 06:52:56 pm »

Hi, will do on the upgrade.  In the meantime, I've fixed my issue, and found a bug in the process:

For the Pink Floyd Blu-ray item, I set 'grouping' tag to "Audio" and updated the file view filter for Audio with a custom one (that was the trick); this filter will now display all items with value for tag "Media Type" == audio or value for tag "grouping" == Audio. 

Procedure:
1. <right-click>Audio -> cusomize view -> settings -> set rules for file display
2. delete all rules
3. create custom filter:
   a. (left pulldown): Custom
   b. (right field): [Media Type]="Audio" or [grouping]="Audio"
4. click <ok>
5. click "overwrite"

The bug is in that when the "set rules for file display" form is shown again, it doesn't show the rule as "custom" but instead interprets what was entered as multiple rules; if I click okay, the results will not be equivalent to what the custom filter provided.  Ex.
Media Type    contains    Audio
grouping       contains    Audio

I think this is flawed because each line appears to be AND'd together, not OR'd like what I needed.  I think if you enter a custom rule, it should display it as originally typed or at least displayed in a way that has equivalent logic, if that magical step of splitting the logic up is even necessary.  It also seems odd that it would fall back on a pattern match ("contains"?) vs. sticking to string equivalence (==, is, eq, etc); I would think that would slow slow the process down considerably.  Sorry, I do software all day.

Thanks for the help!

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 11:28:28 am »

You will need to surround the OR statements in parentheses.

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Search_Language#Search.2C_Search_Wizard_and_More
Pages: [1]   Go Up