INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What is the standard upgrade process?  (Read 1330 times)

Bulkhead

• Recent member
What is the standard upgrade process?
« on: May 07, 2017, 02:43:16 pm »

I've been a paying user of MediaCenter since at least v13, but I still don't understand the recommended upgrade process.

I just downloaded and installed v22. I currently have versions 18 and 20 also installed.

Each time I install the new version of the software, it does a clean install and brings over nothing from my prior installations. Is this the normal behavior?

I have views created in v20 that I don't want to have to recreate and it seems the library should be migrated to the new version rather than having to wade through a complete import of all my media each time I upgrade.

I have looked over the forums and found this thread that sort of discusses this, but nothing that is a concise explanation of the recommended process of upgrading that includes migrating settings and the library from one version to the next.

Would someone please describe the recommended upgrade process or point me to the appropriate thread(s) please?

Thank you so much

Zed's dead baby, Zed's dead....

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: What is the standard upgrade process?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 03:45:06 pm »

As I understand it, the Windows version of MC normally finds the library from the previous version and starts using it right away.  I think this happens for one or two versions back.  So you could go from V20 to V21 "automatically".  I almost never use the Windows version of MC though, so I'm not very sure.

What I *am* sure about is that you can make a Library Backup in one version of MC (version 20 for example), and restore that library into a higher version (like version 22).  The Library Backup file contains all Views, all metadata for media files, all playlists, and *almost* all settings that can be made in MC's options.

If you are skipping many versions in between the backup and restore, I'm not sure how well this works.  People have occasionally reported here that they had to step through several versions of MC to migrate.  Like going from 17 to 18, then 18 to 19, 19 to 20, etc.

I think if you are going from 20 to 22, you're probably all set.

Summary of the process:

1.  In the older version of MC:  File > Library > Backup Library .  Make note of the file name.
2.  In the new version of MC:  File > Library > Restore Library . Select the file from the backup you just did.  Make sure to check both boxes for "library" and "settings".
3.  Check your views, media, and settings.

Good luck.

Brian.

CallMeSteven

• Recent member
Re: What is the standard upgrade process?
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 05:09:41 am »

I can confirm the first sentence (for others to note). I upgraded from version 20 to 22 & all my settings were transferred over. Version 22 created a new folder under the
"JRiver" folder. I've now backed up the Library folder to an external drive and uninstalled version 20.

I would suggest that when you first install MC you should get offered a directory to store the library as the 'Document' folder on your boot drive is the worst place!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up