INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Very occasional clicking sound through speakers  (Read 1614 times)

David353

• Recent member
Very occasional clicking sound through speakers
« on: May 09, 2017, 05:45:37 am »

This is not necessarily the fault of JRiver MC,  but for some reason on my new laptop,  I hear an occasional sound of a click coming through my laptop speakers when I'm using JRiver MC.  A 'click' s close isn't the best word for it, it sounds like some sort of click-like audio artifact,  the sound is more like a spark.  The volume does depend on the volume of the speakers.

It seems to be happening when I am doing things on JRiver MC, as opposed to merely playing (like working in the dialogs), but this could be coincidence because it hasn't happened often enough for me to be sure.....

It's happening about once a day.  Does anyone have any guidance for me here?  Is my PC possibly in some way maladjusted to JRiver in some way I can tweak?

Thanks.

Zhillsguy

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Very occasional clicking sound through speakers
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 11:18:36 am »

The occasional "click" or other anomaly can be any number of things. It could be some sort of noise coming through your house electrical system (such as a light being turned on/off, appliance noise, etc), an internal pc noise, etc. Recently I was being driven batty by some weird noises that appeared first in my monitors, then my subs. It ended up being the UPS they were plugged into, only if they were plugged into the battery backup outlets.

Things I would try:

1. One easy check, unplug your laptop from the charger. If the noise goes away, and your laptop has a 3 prong AC plug, try a cheapo 2-prong adapter. This can cure many ground loop related noise issues, and I consider it an acceptable laptop power solution (may not be safe for some other 120V powered devices). Same goes for your laptop speakers if powered.

2. Check all of the power settings in Control Panel, make sure everything is "high performance", do not sleep, USB buss stays on (if using a USB DAC), etc. Windows 10 drives everyone crazy. Make sure Windows isn't trying to update, if so, let it do so.

3. You didn't mention if the laptop is connected to anything else, such as a TV, receiver, etc. If so, disconnect all until the noise source is determined.

Hope this helps.

Ryzen 5 W11 x64 MC 29 HTPC/Server and HP G2 Mini Elitedesk W11 MC 29 (music only zone), various Android Phones and Tablets for control of both, powering two lanai surround systems, 5.1 and 4.1 respectively.

David353

• Recent member
Re: Very occasional clicking sound through speakers
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 01:24:05 pm »

Thanks, I'll try those suggestions!
Pages: [1]   Go Up