INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't play playlist after Handheld Synch to Samsung  (Read 2216 times)

David353

• Recent member
Can't play playlist after Handheld Synch to Samsung
« on: May 10, 2017, 12:55:41 pm »

Short version:
I'm doing a hand-held synch to a Samsung Galaxy S7.  Individual files will play, but the .m3u playlists will not play.

Details:
  I synch to a folder on my PC, called Playlists.  The playlist is called Malandraca Playlist.m3u.

I confirm that I can play this playlist directly on my PC.  For debugging purposes I limited it to one file.  The contents of the file are expected and it plays using VLC on my PC:
Malandraca Playlist.m3u   contents is one line as expected:
.\..\Pugliese, Osvaldo (Instrumental)\Instrumentales Inolvidables Vol. 2\15 Malandraca.mp3
END OF CONTENTS

I connect my Samsung to my PC, and then I COPY manually this ENTIRE playlist directory over to my Samsung Galaxy S7.  I browse from the Malandraca Playlist.m3u and check that the expected .mp3 file is there, in the right place relative to that .m3u file.  It is there, and it plays correctly when played by itself using VLC player on Samsung Galaxy S7.

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES can I get VLC player to correctly play Malandraca Playlist.m3u.

This problem does NOT seem to be limited to VLC player.   NO MEDIA PLAYER I TRY ON my Samsung will play it.  Google Play Music simply gives a message that it cannot play the file, but no info about what file.  VLC player gives me a better message:

I have attached a screen capture of the error message from VLC.  Very strange, because the file should be there....

Someone made a suggestion that I take out the ".\" from the beginning in the .m3u file, and that this was an option for JRiver MC.  I tried that, but it did not help.

Any ideas?

To help me try to find the problem,  Big question: Has anyone here successfully run a playlist on a Samsung Galaxy S7 that was synched using Handheld Synch from JRiver MC?

David353

• Recent member
Re: Can't play playlist after Handheld Synch to Samsung
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 01:34:44 pm »

This isn't some mode I have to select to create Unix-like file paths in my .m3u or something like that, is it???

And/or does Android playlist players die with non-Unix filenames?  Like filenames with spaces and parenthesis?  Will fixing those fix the problem?

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

David353

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2017, 03:26:41 pm »

Brian, you missed the bit above where I said that I tried taking out the leading .\  .  Unfortunately, it DOESN'T make any difference......

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2017, 04:27:41 pm »

The error message is showing the HTML codes for the backslash and space characters.  Which implies that your player doesn't like those characters.

I would try a few things:

1.  Try using M3U8 instead of M3U.
2.  Open the M3U file in a text editor and do a global find and replace to change \ into / .

Just some ideas.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up