INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DSP Output question  (Read 1653 times)

iansr

• Recent member
DSP Output question
« on: May 13, 2017, 10:29:35 am »

I'm only just beginning to scratch the surface of understanding DSP so forgive me if this is a dumb question.  I currently use some miniDSP units for the active crossover duties in relation to my 2 way speakers (i.e. 4 "channels" in total).  However I'm looking at ditching the miniDSPs and using Jrivers DSP functionality.  The FIR tap settings that I use have been created in Rephase (not by me!).  My stereo DACs of choice have USB input and I use 2 of them - one DAC for each speaker in effect.    I therefore need to generate 2 separate digital signals over separate USB outputs from the PC to feed my 2 DACs; one signal would have comprise the 2 channels for the left speaker and the other signal would be for the right speaker.

Is it possible to divide up and route the post-DSP'd signals to two separate USB output ports to meet my requirements?

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: DSP Output question
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2017, 07:14:38 pm »

The short sweet answer is no.  There are complexities in timing that will make this not work optimally.

If you're driving an actively crossed over configuration, you really want to use only one DAC:  A multi-channel DAC.  Or use professional DACs that have a clock in/clock out arrangement so that they all have the same clock.  Without one of those two things, it won't work correctly.

Brian.

iansr

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2017, 05:11:57 am »

Thanks, I'm aware of the timing problem and the DACs will be clock locked together, so no worries on that front.  It's deriving the separate left and right channel outputs that I'd like some advice on.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2017, 05:34:46 am »

jriver can only address a single output device as presented by the OS (asio or whatever) however a master-slave setup often means you talk to that master device and it dealing with passing the content on downstream. I guess it depends which device(s) you have though, what are they? 

iansr

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2017, 12:05:41 pm »

Ok thanks.  The DACs are being modded to achieve the clock locking. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up