INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New dedicated laptop buying recommendation  (Read 2484 times)

jhorwath22

New dedicated laptop buying recommendation
« on: May 14, 2017, 05:13:58 pm »

Hi,
For years, I had been using a completely stripped down, ancient Gateway laptop for the sole purpose of playing my movie library (it was always connected to TV via HDMI). Not perfect, but it served it's purpose. Until last week, when it more or less finally died (I won't go into the gory details).

At any rate, time to buy something else. I've been looking at refurb's, as, again, I intend to just strip it down, and plant it by TV. I'm not looking for anything special, or high end. Just something that will work (I was fine with a 10 or so year old Gateway, so...). Can I go with a chrome/notebook, with my external hard drive? I have little to no experience with them, and how well they handle video output of this sort.

My Gateway had 4GB RAM, and it was slow, obviously, but I can upgrade that, if the new unit will allow.

Just curious what the masses might recommend. I intend to stick with JRiver v19 for the time being, as it suits me fine, and I'm familiar with it (and stubborn in my ways, I suppose). Thanks for any input, Happy Mother's Day.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: New dedicated laptop buying recommendation
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 05:23:08 pm »

Welcome to the forum.  MC won't run on a Chromebook.  Any inexpensive Windows machine would work.  You might ask around and see if any of your friends have an old one.  They usually have to pay to get rid of them now so you'd be doing them a favor.

If you have it connected to a TV as your monitor, you don't need anything special for the display on the notebook.

jhorwath22

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2017, 05:39:31 pm »

Thanks for the response, and the info. Most appreciated.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2017, 08:04:26 pm »

Given your comments about your requirements and usage pattern, why not get an Id?

If you're not using the laptop for anything else ostensibly, then you just want a box planted by your TV doing a limited array of tasks. Sounds like perfect Id territory to me.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT
Pages: [1]   Go Up