INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Series/Season cover art location?  (Read 3741 times)

Sesam

• World Citizen
Series/Season cover art location?
« on: May 19, 2017, 02:35:56 pm »

Is it possible to store TV series/season cover-art in the same folder as the video files? (I don't want a separate cover art folder)

~OHM~

• Citizen of the Universe
  • "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
Re: Series/Season cover art location?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 03:05:02 pm »

tools>options>file location>

have at it
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

blgentry

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 03:44:14 pm »

I'm fairly certain that Series and Season cover art must be located in the central cover art directory under Series and Season.

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Cover_Art

Brian.

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 03:52:46 pm »

I'm fairly certain that Series and Season cover art must be located in the central cover art directory under Series and Season.

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Cover_Art

Brian.

Good catch Brian, as I don't use MC for TV I just assumed it would be the same for TV.....thanks
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

Sesam

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 04:05:53 pm »

tools>options>file location>

have at it

Tried that, but it does not work how I want/expect it to. The scenario is that I have a bunch of MP4 video files with embedded episode thumbnail images.

Example: You have a TV series where each episode is an MP4 video file. Each MP4 is tagged (using MP3Tag) with meta-data that contains an embedded episode thumbnail image, actors and episode description.

When imported to MC what happens is that the embedded thumbnail from the first episode/video becomes the cover image for the entire series. What I would want is instead MC to use a standalone cover image to display series/season (like it does if you use the standard "cover art" folder method). But I still want it to use the embedded episode thumbnails images that are embedded within the video files.

So basically what I want is:
If you have a TV series called "blah". Then what I want is MC to look for "blah.jpg" and "blah - season 1.jpg" in the same folder as the video files, to respectively display the cover image for the series and season. The current situation is that if the episode videos have an embedded thumbnail image, that completely overrides all this, so what you end up with is seeing is just the embedded image from the first episode.

Sesam

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 04:21:44 pm »

Good catch Brian, as I don't use MC for TV I just assumed it would be the same for TV.....thanks

Thanks for showing interest on this topic :). MC has so many features that are vaguely documented. As I could not figure this out on my own, all feedback is appreciated. My usage scenario is likely pretty unique, as I think few people actually tag or embed thumbnails into their MP4 video files.

blgentry

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 05:25:09 pm »

If you already have the Series and Season cover art, all you have to do is copy it into the Series and Season folders in the master cover art directory.  MC should pick it up automatically.  I would expect that MC would continue to use the embedded cover art for the episode thumbnails just as it's doing now.

If you don't have the series and season art yet, MC can download it for you in a semi-automated way.  It's pretty quick to do it.  You can do a dozen seasons of a few TV shows in a minute or two.

Brian.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2017, 05:26:00 pm »

After you import the Episodes with their embedded Cover Art into MC, select one Episode (any) and right click it. Then select "Cover Art > Get From Internet..."

You will be presented with a dialogue that allows you to select the image you want to use for the whole Series, and for each Season. MC will look up the image online, and will also show you any image that already exists in the Cover Art directory structure. Series and Season Cover Art images are always stored in the Cover Art directory structure, but that is what you want anyway, so all is good.

If you want to use your own Series and Season Cover Art, put the files into the correct Cover Art directory structure and name them correctly, and MC should find them.

Your Episode images should remain untouched, and displayed correctly. You must have the correct settings for that now, since the images are being found and used. That is, assuming that it is the embedded image that is being displayed, and not a screenshot from the MP4 video file. ( "Options > File Location > Cover Art > Also store image in file's tag" )  I can't test your scenario as I use a separate image file, stored in the same folder as the video file, for my Episode images. The "Get Movie & TV Info..." function retrieves those image files and stores them in the correct location. I assume you are providing your own Episode images, and don't want the "Get Movie & TV Info..." function to retrieve images, so make sure that box is unticked if you run the function, or the image tag will be overwritten, and possibly the image in the MP4 file itself.

If your Episode images do get mucked up, and that can happen, explore using the "Cover Art > Quick Find In File / Cover Art Directory" function. I often get a screenshot as Episode Cover Art, I think because the import doesn't override an existing image tag. I fix that with the "Get Movie & TV Info..." function.

Note that Season level images are only show in Theatre View once you have at least one Episode in at least two Seasons. Otherwise MC jumps from the Series level directly to the Episode level.

The import process will usually/sometimes retrieves the correct Series and Season images, but I find that it often doesn't. I don't know why. Sometimes it just takes a little time for MC to retrieve the art, maybe during a later Import run. So I just run the "Cover Art > Get From Internet..." function to add missing Series and Season Cover Art. When MC doesn't have Series and Season Cover Art, it will use any art it finds in the first file for a Series, and if there is no image for that file, it will use a screenshot from the video.

See how you go with all that.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up