INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Buffering and DSD 4  (Read 4773 times)

RussAshe

• Recent member
Buffering and DSD 4
« on: May 20, 2017, 01:57:35 pm »

If this has been answered elsewhere point me in that direction  but here goes.  I am using JRiver 22 to play hi-res files from a local hard drive.  DSD 4 files will only play for about 20 seconds before re-buffering.  DSD 1 and DSD 2 work fine and if I convert the DSD 4 in question to DSD 2 again no problem.  I have increased the buffer to the maximum and tried moving the file from my regular HDD to my much faster solid state root drive all with the same result.  Is this a simple hardware limitation or should I look elsewhere for a solution?

DJLegba

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Buffering and DSD 4
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 02:13:30 pm »

Do you have memory playback enabled? If so, disable it.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 09:43:14 pm »

What size file are you having trouble with?

RussAshe

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 07:47:22 am »

I will give that a try, thank you.

RussAshe

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 07:49:47 am »

What size file are you having trouble with?

File sizes vary but they are normal 3 - 4 minute tracks which in DSD 4 is about 500 - 700 Mb

RussAshe

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2017, 11:21:43 pm »

Do you have memory playback enabled? If so, disable it.

Tried it but no luck, only difference it now buffers at about 24 seconds instead of 20.

blgentry

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2017, 05:53:59 am »

What is your JMark score?

Help > Benchmark > Run benchmark

Just for the record, are you playing DSD4 natively, or converting to PCM?  What does the audio path show while you are playing DSD4?  Player > Audio Path

Brian.

DJLegba

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2017, 07:48:10 am »

How is your DAC connected to the computer? USB? Have you tried a different cable or port?

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2017, 09:34:19 am »

Playing native DSD does not take a lot of CPU power. Converting DSD to PCM for playback does require a good CPU.  I am playing 2x DSD with an old Netbook, JMark of about 460, which might be the slowing machine currently in use. My DAC does not support 4x so I cannot try that.

The fact that it takes 20 seconds to glitch makes it seem more like a buffering issue than a conversion issue. You can use Windows Resource Monitor to see if any system activity coincides with the glitch.

You might try playing with the buffering. Try setting it down low, rather than at its maximum.

I had occasional buffering problems with playing from memory using the decode before loading option, but have not had an issue with the newer decode on playback option. Do you see any difference between the two options?

Are you sending native DSD or are you using DoP. If DoP, are you using WASAPI or ASIO?

What is the DAC?

Unfortunately, lots of questions but no obvious solution.

RussAshe

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2017, 09:54:59 am »

Sorry all, been away for a bit.  I will try to lump all the answers to the questions together here.

Benchmark, I am guessing you want the JRmark at the end of the test, 2334.  No idea if that is good, bad or terrible.

No external DAC, I am using a Lynx Audio E22 sound card.

Format is Asio. DsD bitstream in DoP format

I think I mentioned if I convert the DSD4 file to DSD2 it plays perfectly.

Audio path shows nothing other than the input format (dsf) and the output (PCM) there is nothing in the changes box except "resample from 1.4 Mhz to 192 Khz"

Thanks for the help and replies.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2017, 09:59:14 am »

Your benchmark is only good.  It is probably the reason for buffering.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2017, 12:50:20 pm »

Sorry all, been away for a bit.  I will try to lump all the answers to the questions together here.

Benchmark, I am guessing you want the JRmark at the end of the test, 2334.  No idea if that is good, bad or terrible.

No external DAC, I am using a Lynx Audio E22 sound card.

Format is Asio. DsD bitstream in DoP format

I think I mentioned if I convert the DSD4 file to DSD2 it plays perfectly.

Audio path shows nothing other than the input format (dsf) and the output (PCM) there is nothing in the changes box except "resample from 1.4 Mhz to 192 Khz"

Thanks for the h 2.8 MHz.elp and replies.

From what I see the Lynx E22 supports PCM up to 192 KHz but not DSD.

Audio path shows that the data is being resampled to 192 PCM, so MC is not sending out DSD via DoP.

The 1.4 MHz is confusing. There is no such sample rate for DSD. 1x DSD is 2.8 MHz. Don't understand this. It should be 11.4 Mhz for DSD4. Typo?

Sounds like you have DSP Studio Output Format set to convert DSD to 192 KHz PCM. Converting to PCM  takes CPU cycles and the buffering is probably due to not having a fast enough CPU.

RussAshe

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2017, 12:21:16 pm »

I agree that the 1.2 MHz in the audio path is confusing but that is what is there.  This is what leads me to think something is improperly configured in my JRiver hence my post.  My understanding of all this is somewhat limited but yes JRiver is processing the DSD file into a format the soundcard can handle.

Also I agree it could be a processor issue as I said in my original post.  That being said, if a 3.2 GHz 6-core processor with ample RAM running a 64 bit OS can't handle DSD-4 I don't think files of that type should be available to the public without a load and clear warning that you probably won't be able to run it with any hardware you can buy on the street.

Any feeling on whether a JRMark of 2334 is good, bad or indifferent?

Further, just played some of the files with the resource monitor open.  Total CPU usage is in the low 30's with Media Center hanging around 20%.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2017, 03:34:56 pm »

That is a medium kind of number.

If you do not have it enabled already, try checking the Sox option in Tools - Options - Audio. It is more efficient than the standard resampler.

What changes are you making in Tools - Options - Audio - DSP and Output Formatting - Output Format? I assume you have the Output Format option on.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2017, 05:18:59 pm »

Still not sure where the 1.4 MHz is coming from, but if you convert to 176 KHz rather than 192 KHz might be better. In Output Format >768 KHz put in 176 KHz.
Pages: [1]   Go Up