INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Integrated Home  (Read 2860 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Integrated Home
« on: May 20, 2017, 05:01:42 pm »

I've written a few times about Engen, our home automation solution.  This area is often referred to as Internet of Things or IoT. 

Engen runs on Windows, Linux, or Mac.  It has a programmable interface and also runs a web server so that it can be controlled by a web app.

We began more than a year ago now.  The initial goal was to build a lighting system that was simple and reliable.  This stage we reached six months ago.  I've used it in my home for longer than that, and I switched to running it on the JRiver IdPi when we added Engen to it.  It's an essential part of our home now.

Several months ago, we branched off from lighting to do sensors and meters, so we can now display temperature, humidity, light, etc.  We can sense things like dampness and whether the garage door is open.

We added scheduling that relies on MC.

We've begun working on automation, so that rules can be set for when actions occur.  For example, a set of lights might come on when the owner's car enters the garage, or outdoor lighting might be turned on and off at a certain time.

We plan to add the ability to play background music at certain times of day.

We're working on IFTTT integration

Catskinner

• Recent member
Re: Integrated Home
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 12:17:28 pm »

OpenHAB already does everything that needs to be done for free and is widely supported. Why not just write a binding for it and free the resources to improve core functionality?

Bill Kearney

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 07:19:29 am »

OpenHAB already does everything that needs to be done for free and is widely supported. Why not just write a binding for it and free the resources to improve core functionality?
The HA market has always had new entrants taking a stab at it.  It's a lot harder than most realize.  Especially when it comes to taking on compatibility with the wide range of devices out there.  Not everyone wants a particular form of device control.  Some networks are decided more problematic than marketing literature reveals.  While others have price-points that are higher than the uninitiated expect, but eventually prove "you get what you pay for" when it comes to functionality and reliability. 

drmimosa

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 07:39:18 am »

I've been using Engen for about a year now, and as far as functionality and reliability it's been rock solid. Price point is lower than similar lighting systems (Hue, Samsung, etc.).
Pages: [1]   Go Up