INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tags / Metadata problems  (Read 3432 times)

raysanke

Tags / Metadata problems
« on: May 21, 2017, 07:23:09 am »

Hi Everyone,

I was looking for the player to be able create playlists very quickly in real time for specific situations, atmospheres etc.

So, I have chosen the JRiver also for big amount of tags I can use.
First, I used all the tags on the test song, copy that song to other computer to see what tags will be there. Not all of them but enough.

Then I started tagging the songs with the tags I knew was copied with the test song file.
When I had a little over 1000 songs done I did copy some of them to other computer(all of the 3 computers was Macs with JRiver) and the tags was not there. :o ?

I'll be working with thousands of songs and of course I need the tags(at least 10) be included the files (or some other way- I do not know where these metadata are saved) therefore I can use them on 2 other computers, back up,…….(as it worked on PCs with the RealPlayer 10 years ago)

What can I do, how that can be fixed?
(note: I still have the trial version for last 5 days)

Thank You, I appreciate all good advice.  :)

Peter

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Tags / Metadata problems
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 07:27:15 am »

Welcome to the forum.  The tags are stored in MC's database, and if you wish, also in the file.  It's an option in settings.  There is a search window at the bottom of settings.  "Also store in file".

shAf

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2017, 07:46:56 am »

Welcome to the forum.  The tags are stored in MC's database, and if you wish, also in the file.  It's an option in settings.  There is a search window at the bottom of settings.  "Also store in file".

Correct me if I'm wrong ... but tags accommodated by the file format cannot be all tags accommodated by the MC database(?) (e.g., volume levelling). If so, which tags does the MC db accommodate over MP3? FLAC?
cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 08:22:22 am »

First, tags inside the files aren't the only way to keep the file meta data consistent.  You can also backup and restore MC's library (database) with File > Library > Backup library .  This makes a file that you can move from computer to computer and then do File > Library > Restore Library to transfer then entire database.

If your file paths on each computer are the same, this should work pretty easily.  If the file paths differ only a little (like the drive name) you can still make this work, using the Rename, Move, and Copy files tool.

But specifically about the tags inside files:

1.  You need to make sure that tag saving is turned on: Tools > Options > General > Importing & Tagging > update tags when file info changes > (checked)
2.  If you're using fields that you made your self (custom fields), you need to make sure that MC is configured to save those files into the file tags:
Tools > Options > Library & Folders > Manage library fields > (select your field) > Data > save in file tags (when possible) > (checked)
You'll need to check this for each field (tag) you are interested in.
3.  Some file types support more or less tags than others.  I think MP3 ID3v1 supports less than ID3v2 for example.  FLAC seems to support pretty much any tags. I'm not sure about other file types, but this gives you an idea of what I'm talking about.

Good luck.

Brian.

raysanke

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2017, 11:18:40 am »

Thank You guys.

Great and quick response!
Another reason I have decided for MC JRiver is the great forum (and I hope the will of the developers to make the best player). I guess you'll hear of me when I'll be dealing with the playlists and now playing lists because my requirements are high.
Cheers!  :)

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2017, 07:37:59 pm »

Correct me if I'm wrong ... but tags accommodated by the file format cannot be all tags accommodated by the MC database(?) (e.g., volume levelling). If so, which tags does the MC db accommodate over MP3? FLAC?

all of the tags from the relevant specs are supported

http://id3.org/
https://xiph.org/flac/format.html
Pages: [1]   Go Up