INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tagging music  (Read 2805 times)

akira54

• Galactic Citizen
Tagging music
« on: May 27, 2017, 02:52:19 pm »

In view of my problems with Albums with multiple artists appearing as multiple albums I have been playing around with my jazz albums where I can usually make the necessary changes (tag Album artist with "various artists" or just empty it). I did this for a bunch of albums last night and to my surprise the changes did not turn up on a different computer on which I installed a fresh copy of MC today. Am I right in thinking that when I tag the chages are only kept in the MC database and not actually written to the files? Can I change that behaviour (if I am right about this)?

221bBS

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Tagging music
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2017, 03:35:51 pm »

Options (CTRL + O) > General > Importing & Tagging
check "Update tags when file info changes"

akira54

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2017, 06:58:17 am »

Thanks, but this setting had already been enabled.

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2017, 07:01:14 am »

You might also have to enable individual tags to be written to the files.  Check each field in:

Tools > Options > Library & Folders > manage library fields

Make sure Save in File Tags is checked for each field you are interested in.

You can force a tag update to your files by selecting some of them and then right click > Library tools > update tags (from library)

Good luck.

Brian.

221bBS

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2017, 07:26:44 am »

There is also a chance your files are set to read only.

Another option is to share you MC Library files between computers. I use Google Drive to do this on two computers. You'll need to move the MC Library to the Drive folder and also a good idea to change the thumbnail folder to the Google Drive folder.

There is a downside to this. Syncing between computers can get messed up if your on both computers at once. And depending on how large your collection, the large thumbnail file might take a few minutes to sync up. But normally, only takes a few seconds to sync my files once I close MC. Also, MC must be totally closed to sync all files (server also).

To sync thunbnails:
Start Registry Editor from the Run command: Regedit

Navigate to:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JRiver\Media Center 22\Properties\

Find:
Thumbnails - Base Path

Replace this new thumbnails directory

richard-ec2

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2017, 02:40:42 pm »

Am I right in thinking that when I tag the chages are only kept in the MC database and not actually written to the files?

I'm only an amateur but the answer to this question is no, this is not correct. If you update the tag fields, the changes should take place within the files themselves. You can easily find out whether the tags have successfully been changed: with any album highlighted, press ALT + ENTER to view its tag fields. Then you will know whether they have been changed or not. I suggest this would be the first step towards solving your problem.

If the tag fields haven't been changed, my next question would be what method you used when you tried to change them. And if the answer is Mp3tag, there's your answer, because for some reason Mp3tag won't overwrite the Album Artist field in MC. It will write it in the first place, but it won't overwrite it once it's there. Please don't ask me why!

Also, do you have a second set of music files on the second PC? Because if you do, then obviously you will have to update the tags on those files as well. I use SyncToy to keep music files on my other PCs in sync with those on my main PC. 

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2017, 03:12:14 pm »

MC has an option that also stores the tag in the file.

richard-ec2

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2017, 04:29:46 pm »

MC has an option that also stores the tag in the file.

Surely that's the default? If I change a tag in MC, it changes the tag in the file. No doubt there's an option to turn that off, but that's the default.
Pages: [1]   Go Up