INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sound difference  (Read 3355 times)

kmmcd

• Junior Woodchuck
Sound difference
« on: May 28, 2017, 01:27:16 am »

I noticed that the audio quality when streaming of a ripped CD  from a NAS using MC to a USB DAC was inferior to the fidelity when playing the original CD in a transport, interfaced to the same DAC via an optical interface. The ripped audio sounded slightly strident, with weaker bass. The CD was ripped using WMP. Do I need a ripper like dbPoweramp? How good is MC's ripper?

The two audio paths described above are:

ripped file/NAS >wifi > PC > USB > Yamaha A-S801 DAC
CD player > optical cable > Yahama A-S801 DAC

PAR57

• Recent member
Re: Do I need dedicated ripping application?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2017, 03:41:06 am »

The perceived sound quality of rips depends upon a variety of factors includng ( but not limited to) the ripper, how it is configured and the hardware in use for playback. NAS's can be tricky to set up for optimum sound quality as there are many variables to consider. In fact I use direct attached storage to circumvent some of these issues. This is suitable for me as I don't require more than one endpoint and there is only one user. In my case my rips  sound equal to or often better than playing the CD in my transport.

robt

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2017, 05:23:29 am »

Another way of isolating your NAS electrically from the dac is to use two Media convertors in the line to the dac. They convert the network signal to optical and then back to electrical which removes electrical noise generated by the NAS. Of course, your PC may be adding in noise again but ideally you shouldnt have any spinning discs in it.

From my Synology NAS my signal path is >router>switch>media convertor(optical)>media convertor(electrical)>Intel NUC> USB DAC (Auralic Vega)

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2017, 05:54:59 am »

What does MC show in it's top display while playing these files?  Do you see FLAC, or MP3, or ... ?  How about the audio path?  Player > Audio Path

Are you using your NAS like a mapped drive?  Or are you accessing it via DLNA?  The "right way" is to use it like a drive.

Brian.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Sound difference when streaming
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2017, 06:26:39 am »

The CD was ripped using WMP.
What file type?

blgentry is correct about importing the files directly from the NAS and not using DLNA for this.  The files may be converted to MP3 if you use DLNA.

kmmcd

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2017, 11:41:44 am »

The streamed file was .wav. The NAS was direct-mapped (like a drive).

I copied the ripped file to the PC's local drive. I'll play it that way later today and compare it to the CD player and report back.

A more complete description of the signal paths are as follows:

ripped file/NAS > switch > router/wifi > PC (Microsoft Surface Pro) > USB > Yamaha A-S801 DAC

PAR57

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2017, 12:45:22 pm »

The streamed file was .wav. The NAS was direct-mapped (like a drive).

I copied the ripped file to the PC's local drive. I'll play it that way later today and compare it to the CD player and report back.

A more complete description of the signal paths are as follows:

ripped file/NAS > switch > router/wifi > PC (Microsoft Surface Pro) > USB > Yamaha A-S801 DAC

There are important points in your setup that make the comparison not exactly 1:1. Your NAS is connected to the DAC by a USB interface and the CD by SP/Dif. The differing technology and much reported experience indicates that they are unlikely to sound indentical and therefore one or the other will be preferred. 

There is also the matter of the wifi link from router to PC . Have you tried a wired connection to see if there is any difference? Wifi is subject to all sorts of factors like inadequate signal strength and neighbours piggy backing on the same frequency that you are using. You can download free apps that will check these matters for you.

kmmcd

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Di I Need Dedicated Ripping Application?
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2017, 12:55:52 pm »

I compared the following two signal paths using MC:

ripped (WMP) .wav file on PC micro SD > USB > A-S801
CD in (cheap blu-ray) player > optical cable > A-S801

Playing from the CD still sounds better. It has slightly more weight and subtlety. The ripped file sounds slightly synthesized by comparison.

(As much as I like it, I am getting tired of listening to the same passage ("Pines of the Appian Way" from Respighi's "Pines of Rome") over-and-over. But it has a revealing progression from delicacy to dynamics.)

Is it worth my time to try the MC ripper? Or should I try something like dbPoweramp? Or, are there any other suggestions?

DarkPenguin

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2017, 01:49:30 pm »

"strident"?

blgentry

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2017, 02:00:07 pm »

You should listen to an entire album.  Or whatever your normal playing habits are.  Quick comparisons, or single song comparisons don't always tell you what you will actually prefer long term.  Extended listening sessions with both are the way to go.  To quote Mike Moffat, "The human brain is an integral, not differential device."

Brian.

kmmcd

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: do I need a dedicated ripping application?
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2017, 04:44:44 pm »

I guess I'll try some rips from MC and incorporate them in my comparison.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: do I need a dedicated ripping application?
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2017, 06:16:53 pm »

I guess I'll try some rips from MC and incorporate them in my comparison.
You can rip with anything and it will sound exactly the same if you have chosen to rip to the same format (FLAC, for example).  Any lossless format will sound exactly the same.
Pages: [1]   Go Up