INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Video playback crash, nothing special in log  (Read 2638 times)

AntaresFR

• Recent member
Video playback crash, nothing special in log
« on: May 29, 2017, 11:39:57 am »

Hi,

I encountered an annoying problem with video playback on my Sierra 10.2.5
Everytime I play a video, MC hang, Mac froze. Have to reboot.
I have MC 22.0.88
I love jriver media player, so this issue is very boring :)
No problem with plex or vlc with same files.
I have enable the log but I can't see anything in it relative to the file I tried to play before crash.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

blgentry

Re: Video playback crash, nothing special in log
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 04:37:51 pm »

I've played a lot of video files on MC for Mac.  Both MC21 and MC22.  I've had a tiny number of crashes.

Have you ever successfully played a video with MC22 for Mac?  If they all crash, there's probably a common cause.  What is your video and audio playback device?  The Mac laptop screen?  How about audio?  Built in?  External DAC? 

You might post your log file here, as long as it captured the actual crash.

Brian.

AntaresFR

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 09:59:25 am »

I will reset log and and then play a video to capture a clean journal.
They nearly all crash.
Audio playback seems to have not impact because it crashes with external DAC or internal card.
I use JRiver mac on a Hackintosh, with a Geforce GTX 1070 as video card.
With the same computer, on my Win10Pro partition, video are allready a problem with JRiver. It doesn't crash completly but the playback is not good. Video hangs, interface of JRiver hangs sometimes during video playback, etc... I have no problem with all other video players. Music playback and photos present no problem in JRiver.

AntaresFR

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 10:11:35 am »

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2017, 04:55:23 pm »

This file is probably bad:

/Volumes/Documents/Automobile/Autos/Bugatti/Bugatti Veyron/Vidéos/2SecondClub First Bugatti Vitesse Test Drive in Paul Ricard (Full Video).mp4

Move that file somewhere that MC can't see it and try again.  You might end up finding a handful of files like this.  MC is crashing while trying to analyze the file.  It does this in the background during import.  MC is still importing your videos, likely because it keeps getting stuck on this one and crashing.

If it crashes again, please post the new log.  Or look at it yourself and find the line at the end that shows the file it was working on when it crashed.  That's what I did to find this file name.

Good luck!

Brian.

AntaresFR

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2017, 07:50:34 am »

The problem is that my jriver library on mac is the same as my jriver library on windows. I have launch manually the "auto import" on my windows computer, and it does it quite fast for 90 000 files, and I can read this video on jriver windows.

blgentry

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2017, 08:34:26 am »

It's possible that file has changed due to disk corruption or something else.  MC for windows has already analyzed it and probably won't try again.

Or maybe the video engine in MC for Mac is different enough from the one in Windows that it's not as tolerant of badly authored or damaged files. 

Either way, I can tell you that the log seems to indicate that MC for Mac can't analyze that file.  You can follow my advice or not.  I'm just trying to help.

Brian.

AntaresFR

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2017, 07:39:02 am »

Thank you I sincerely appreciate your help!
I have disabled the video and photo features of jriver because of these video problems. I will use Plex which is much more stable for videos, at home anyway, and will keep JRiver for what he does best, sound!
I will crossfing the fingers for improved font rendering under macOS in a future version :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up