INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Selecting DSP Presets with hot key or remote  (Read 3244 times)

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Selecting DSP Presets with hot key or remote
« on: May 31, 2017, 09:27:49 am »

I'd like to be able to select a DSP Preset using a hot key on the keyboard, or using an IR remote.  Using JRemote interface for this would be OK too, but I don't see that happening.

I went looking for a Core Command for this and couldn't find one; pretty sure it doesn't exist.  I then looked through the MCWS documentation and didn't see a way to select a preset there either.

Then, in MCWS, I found an interface to turn on and off different sections of the DSP.  This is good, but not exactly what I'm looking for.  The real problem with this is, when I turn on and off different DSP sections, they DO NOT ACTIVATE.  I must open the DSP window manually, and as *soon* as the window opens, the changes take effect.  I've tested this by using really obnoxious EQ settings so I can hear them.  They do not activate when I do the MCWS command.  But if I then open the DSP window, they instantly activate.  I've been doing this testing with MC22 for Mac; it might be Mac specific, but I doubt it.

So...  I think it would be awesome to have a Core Command for selecting full DSP Saved Presets.  Or an MCWS command for selecting and loading full Saved Presets.  Honestly, Core Commands are way easier for my particular use, but I could adapt to either way.

I know other JRiver customers have been interested in this in the past.  I think this would be a popular feature.

Thanks,

Brian.

wolffe

• Recent member
Re: Selecting DSP Presets with hot key or remote
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 02:08:13 am »

I'll second this, and add:

Remote control of a few DSP settings would be very, very nice and go a long way towards JRiver as a smooth, integrated replacement for a preamp/processor. My goal here is to avoid having to use a mouse or keyboard under normal circumstances. Specifically:

A couple of buttons for enabling/disabling compression/night mode. I find I toggle this setting fairly often, especially at night or with certain genres of movies that have an extremely large dynamic range, such as horror movies that go from long whispered dialogue to crashing nearly instantly.

Relative channel volumes that I set in Parametric EQ.

Not DSP related, but need remote access:

Subtitle selection and toggle

Audio stream selection and toggle.

Full Screen Video toggle.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 11:24:23 am »

Coming in the first build of MC23:
NEW: Added the MCWS function Playback/LoadDSPPreset to load a DSP preset by a given name.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 12:40:42 pm »

Thanks Matt.  :)

As I said, I can work with MCWS via some external software to make hot keys work.

I guess on the Windows version of MC, you can call external programs directly with hot keys... so I you could map (for example) control-alt-1 to call a web client like CURL to hit MCWS and enable the DSP Preset you wanted.

On mac and (I think) Linux, I don't think hot keys can run programs.  I wonder if some sort of Core Command "gateway to MCWS" would be useful?  Like a Core Command that accepted the URL of the MCWS command, without the hostname and port.  That way you could do anything MCWS can do using a single Core Command.  I'm just thinking out loud here.  The main aim of this is to allow hot keys to do lots of MC functions.... and it seems that most new functions are in MCWS and not Core Commands.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

Brian.

RD James

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 06:19:33 pm »

Could this be extended to DSP rules for zones?

Sure, I'd like to have a button on my remote toggle between headphones/speakers or night mode on/off for example, but there are all sorts of other DSP possibilities that could be enabled if JRiver could switch things automatically based on tags.
Pages: [1]   Go Up