INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRemote No DSD Control  (Read 3610 times)

bg

• Junior Woodchuck
JRemote No DSD Control
« on: June 01, 2017, 05:09:39 pm »

Non-tech person asks: Media Center handles DSD files just fine. Why no remote control of DSD (dsf) with JRemote?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: JRemote No DSD Control
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 05:11:18 pm »

You can use JRemote to control playback of any file type that MC supports.

aoqw76

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 05:16:05 pm »

Do you mean you are trying to play the dsf file on the ipad itself (or android device?) using jremote?
xubuntu lts 14.04 32 bit, running mc22.0.36 as anything later doesn't work properly over vnc. using linux mc22 as media server to windows mc22 last version / jremote on ipad.
I am the owner / sole admin for www.cyrusunofficial.co.uk ("fan" site for Cyrus Audio hifi)

jrobbins

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 12:32:35 pm »

Well, I will jump in on this thread.  I use JRemote running on iPhone 7+.  When attempting to play a DSF file on the iPhone, I get a notice that the song or album will play now, but then the Audio Streaming Error message pops up and nothing plays.  Same result if playing the iso files from the same album.  Of course, the 24/88.2 conversion of the DSF files plays just fine.

Are DSF/SACD iso files not supported for playback on an iPhone?  Thanks.  JCR

unfrostedpoptart

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2017, 04:07:14 pm »

Yes - I've been hitting this too.  I run MC22 (22.0.108) on a Mac Mini (10.12.6) and have JRemote on my iPhone 7+.  I'm at work with WiFi and the MM is Ethernet to Eero router. I've been using this for months and everything worked fine with most files although I got the occasional streaming error message with some ISOs and DSFs.  Now I get it on every DSF.  These are stereo files that play fine locally. They were created by ripping my SACDs on a Pioneer player and then splitting to DSF using Trax.

I tried changing the Media Network Audio options to always convert to medium mp3 but this didn't help.  High bitrate Flac files are streaming fine. It's just DSF.

Help!

David

RD James

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2017, 05:43:14 pm »

Do you have the "transcode audio" option enabled in JRemote?
It should say that MP3 is being played in the lower-right when you bring up the "now playing" view.
Just tested a mixture of SACD ISO/DFF/DSF and they all seem to play as 320K MP3 without any trouble.

unfrostedpoptart

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2017, 07:12:59 pm »

Do you have the "transcode audio" option enabled in JRemote?
It should say that MP3 is being played in the lower-right when you bring up the "now playing" view.
Just tested a mixture of SACD ISO/DFF/DSF and they all seem to play as 320K MP3 without any trouble.

Thanks - that fixed it.  I don't know what changed since it was working.

jrobbins

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2017, 04:45:47 pm »

I am not trying to transcode to mp3. As noted above, high bitrate files, such as 24/192, play directly through JRemote without transcoding turned on. But not DSF or SACD ISO files. So for my issue, I'm not hearing an answer or a definitive "no" as to "native iPhone" playback of DSF and SACD ISO files. Anyone out there gotten this to work without transcoding to mp3?  JCR

RD James

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2017, 06:10:04 pm »

iPhones don't support DSD files so they need to be converted.
I do wish that JRemote had better conversion options though: to only convert tracks where necessary, to use AAC rather than MP3, and the option for lossless formats instead of lossy.

blgentry

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2017, 06:14:47 pm »

Trying to play DSD files natively on a phone is like demanding the absolute best quality paints, canvas, and picture frame for a 5 year old to finger paint on.  It just doesn't make any difference.  Or perhaps trying to use 108 octane race gas in a lawn mower.  The limiting factor is enormously the playback device.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up