INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tagging Problem  (Read 791 times)

billycwhatup

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Tagging Problem
« on: July 08, 2003, 04:58:31 am »

Hi-
I've used MC 9.0 quite happily for a few weeks now for various applications. My initial import of files went well and all tracks were seemingly recognized properly.

I have just imported another 40GB or so of music from a friend that had the tunes in a .WMA format. For whatever reason, even though they appeared properly in windows explorer (in terms of folders by artist, then album, then tracks within each album folder), when imported into MC, they appeared as one long file name "SONG,ARTIST,ALBUM" all under the song category. This makes it impossible to categorize by anything other than song title.  A different music program (MUSICMATCH) that I use only for iPod sync recognized them normally.

Any suggestions on how to fix this? Thanks very much.

Bill

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Tagging Problem
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2003, 05:45:37 am »

I don't normaly Use WMA

Maybe Thats A Bug, But

You Can Use Fill Properties From File Name

So If The Name Was

Artist - Album - Track # - Name.wma

using: [Artist] - [Album] - [Track #] - [Name]

template will fill in the fields
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

billycwhatup

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2003, 05:55:48 am »

Thanks.
On the risk of asking a totally stupid question,  how do I get to the template? Thanks

Wobbley

• World Citizen
  • What a bum rap for a nice, sensitive guy like me
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2003, 06:24:01 am »

1. Tools...Options...File Naming & Location

2. Look at the bottom for the two comboboxes.

3. In the Directory Rule combobox, select the directory structure you want MC to use (if at all)...of course, since it's a combobox, you can enter anything you wish here, as long as what you enter is a field (either default or user-defined) in MC (enter the field's display name, i.e. how it's displayed in a column (the text displayed).

4. Most people, I assume, including myself, use the Album/Artist Directory Rule so that when you rename files imported (like the .wma files you've imported), or when you rip tracks from a CD, MC will automatically create a folder with the artist's name, and within that artist folder, MC will create a folder with the name of the album.

5. In the Filename Rule combobox, either select from the pre-defined options, or create your own.  Your best bet is to use the [Artist] - [Album] - [Track #] - [Name] filenaming scheme, but as I said, feel free to create your own.  If you choose to create your own, just know that you must enter the field's display value between square brackets (e.g. [Some Media Center Field Name]. NOTE: The file name scheme you choose/specify should match the way that the .wma files are named that you are trying to correct the tag info for.  In other words, if the .wma files are named with the following scheme:

01 - Track Name.wma, then you need to setup your Filename Rule to be [Track #] - [Name]

6. Don't forget, in case you haven't already done this, in that same File Naming & Location section, to select the default folder that MC is to use to store your newly ripped/imported tracks...it's in the Base Path: section, just under Output File Location...

7. Once all that's done, go back to MCs main view and find the .wma files you imported.

8. Select all of them, then right-click on any one of the selected files.  Choose Library Tools..., then Fill Properties From Filename. This will take the file name information and import it, based on the Filename Rule you've already established, into the appropriate tag fields for each selected file.

Hope this helps...

Wobbley

billycwhatup

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2003, 06:40:33 am »

Thanks for help - I sincerely appreciate it
Pages: [1]   Go Up