INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Notebook evaluation!  (Read 827 times)

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Notebook evaluation!
« on: July 07, 2003, 01:46:26 pm »

Hello,

I am in the process of evaluating a new notebook with the main purpose of demonstrating how the principles of Home Theatre works. Of course MC9 will be the main part of it. I showed it to a few friends and they all were really impressed and at least one already bought it!

My current favorite is the Acer Travelmate 661LCI or 800LCI with the new Intel M Centrino processor which was specifically developed for notebooks and enhances battery life power to 5-6 hours.

The specs and the price are really impressive:
http://global.acer.com/products/notebook/index.htm

The main specs are:
Intel M Centrino 1.3 / 1.6 MHz
Intel Pro/Wireless Network Connection 802.11b
15" SXGA+ TFT Display
40 GB HD
ATI Mobility RADEON 9000 with 64MB DDR-VRAM
DVD/CD-RW Combo or DVD/-RW
10/100 LAN and 56K Modem
SmartCard Reader
4xUSB 2.0 ports, 1 Firewire, 1 S-Video, 1 Infrared, Port Replicator, Bluetooth Integrated, Windows XP Pro
weight: only 2.7-2.8 kg

The main difference is that the 661LCi shares the memory of the graphics card and does not allow dual display (with an extra monitor)

The reviews over at Cnet are excellent with a few minor flaws like external monitor supporting only 60MHz or some problems with Wireless LAN.

Anybody any experience with this notebook or any other Pentium M Centrino  notebook?

I must also admit that the new Sony/Toshiba notebooks with the new Black Onyx TFT technology are simply outstanding, marvellous! The screen looks like ancient glass painting in churches. Incredible brilliance of colors! But probably I will stay with standard TFT technolgy. It's too new and too expensive!

DAlba

• nothing more to say...
Re: Notebook evaluation!
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2003, 11:05:18 pm »

I am a sales manager at CompUSA and our Accer  800LCI demo unit has been replaced twice because the screen goes bad.  If you still want one they are discontinued at Comp so you can get a good deal, just be sure you get a service plan with screen protection.

Toshiba has some really cool stuff.  Windows Media Center Notebook has tv tuner and remote among other things.  And we just got one today with a 17" wide screen.

The Toshiba M405 Centrino is real nice (good battery life) however there has been some compatibility issues with some wireless networks.  I believe this is with most centrinos.

We just received a new Compaq Centrino today but I haven't opened it yet.  We still are expecting a few more Centrinos.  

You will find over 25 models to choose from at CompUSA (shameless plug).
Pages: [1]   Go Up