INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Tagging  (Read 2862 times)

syncopates

• Recent member
Media Tagging
« on: June 15, 2017, 01:06:22 am »

Long story short. I'm moving away from iTunes/iMatch. Purchased JRiver after the trial, love the product, a serious upgrade! After an extended period of re-tagging my music file in JRiver, I synced to the iPod. Everything went well, the same number of files in the library and on the iPod, a first.

Without getting into details, iTunes/iMatch wasn't going to give up without a fight. I had the iPod connected while I was accessing the store to buy some music through iTunes. I had the settings set to "do not sync' but I am guessing on the last update somehow it switched or ignored the setting. 3000 songs gone off the iPod, my drive and all the while iMatch was changing its landscape.

I've pieced it all back together but for some reason, JRiver has taken 500 songs and called them Podcasts. They appear that way on the iPod but when looking at 'podcast' on the Tree, they don't appear there. Quick look up and down the 'audio' section nothing, but when doing a 'podcast' search within the main audio library in JRiver' those songs called 'podcasts' group. I opened 'Media Type' column (reads 'audio' for all songs) and 'Subtype' column (reads 'music' for 2100 files balance 7000 are blank).

How do I go about getting them out of that Podcast SubType? Thanks!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Media Tagging
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2017, 06:25:47 am »

Did you try editing the sub-type on the problem files?

syncopates

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017, 11:25:35 am »

Hi Jim, thanks for the reply. I have not tried that as yet. It was getting late last night when all this transpired. Thought I'd poke around on here to see if anyone had come across it in the forum. I will be trying that later today after a bit of Mountain Biking.

I thought I'd give it a try before I left. Changed the tagging info to including 'media' and 'subtype', select all > changed the subtype to 'music' and updated one of the iPods. No change. I will try restoring the iPod and then resync the entire library when I return.

syncopates

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 11:55:51 pm »

So to recap

The files classified as 'podcast' are not detectable in a search from the main library and do not appear in the 'tree' under 'Podcast'. When the iPod is connected and selected through 'Drives and Devices' typing in 'podcast' in the search field, a drop-down will appear (podcast subtype) and the 540 affected files are shown when selected. Selecting All and changing the subtype to Music seemed to have no embedding effect. But perhaps I am doing it improperly. I can't seem to do the change in the device menu.

Resync and eject the iPod, still have 540 podcast files listed on the iPod. I then thought perhaps what I should be doing is sync from a blank slate. Closed MC, opened iTunes to restore the unit. Then thought I'd see what iTunes had to say. Checked the iPod. iTunes indicated the same numbers. While in there I thought to try to change the designation. Made the changes noting the music library numbers went up by 540 but for some reason, it was still reporting 540 in the podcast section while no files remained on the list. Eject the iPod, check the numbers again on the unattached unit, and the same, music files up, Podcast still showed 540. Reconnect, open iTunes and hit restore.

Open MC and reconnect the restored iPod, make sure all the files in the main library are on 'music' and sync. Finishes syncing, open devices and view the 'on device' ipod, the and I'm back to either blank or podcast. Eject the iPod and check it's contents: the 540 are missing from the music total but under podcast.

I've just gone through the procedure again in iTunes changing the 540 back to music. The songs are back up but I still read 540 in Podcast.  I will then close iTunes and open MC.

Opening MC and reconnecting the iPod, selecting Devices > iPod and it brings in all the music files from C:\, D:\ and the iPod content. Highlight the iPod content and I have the proper number of songs BUT the Media Subtype is now blank.

I'm thinking I'd like to make a clean slate of it. Clear the iTunes and MC Libraries. Reimport the master folder

syncopates

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 09:07:09 pm »

Just to update. I walked away from this issue for awhile. I have one iPod with all the current content, the other I will use to try figuring out what is going wrong. During the retagging process, I also collected Album Artwork. Unfortunately, in use on the iPod, the artwork isn't necessarily attached to its respective song file. Any ideas?

syncopates

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2017, 12:34:09 am »

Update:
What I did with the 500 plus misidentified 'Audio/Podcast files was to convert them to FLAC and then back to ALAC. I cleared the main library and initialized the iPod clearing its contents. In the 'import' section I added to the rules, Media Type 'Audio' and Sub Type 'Music' (though Sub Type never appeared in completed transaction). Reloaded the library into MC and then sync'd the iPod. All files transferred as 'audio' except for 3. I realized after that I hastily looked at the final files on the list to be all songs by the group 'Yello' when there were 3 songs by 'yes' hiding. I converted the 3. Again cleared the library and reinitialized the iPod. Reloaded and resynced. Et Voila. Clean! It appears the Artwork cleaned itself up in the process.
Pages: [1]   Go Up