INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Clients intermittently take over the server on playback  (Read 1694 times)

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Clients intermittently take over the server on playback
« on: June 17, 2017, 08:48:17 am »

I keep getting this behaviour intermittently, it is really quite annoying. The behaviour is as follows

- have mc server running
- start playback in any mc client
- playback starts normally
- look at the server, server is also playing whatever the client is playing

I've seen this behaviour with both MC clients and jremote. It is obviously terrible if the server is also playing back at the time as that completely wrecks whatever is happening there.

This is a bit vague as I have no idea what options could lead to this behaviour. Ideas?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Clients intermittently take over the server on playback
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2017, 08:50:37 am »

On the client, you must specify where to play.  You're probably missing this step.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 09:04:47 pm »

Sounds like an inadvertently linked zone to me.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 03:34:26 am »

Note that the behaviour is that playback starts on *both* the client and the server, it does not just play on the server. The zone in which it plays back in the server is the zone selected by the server zoneswitch rules.

re jremote, I'm really not sure what the intended jremote behaviour is, I tested again yesterday by "playing" some images. In this case, I did not remember to change the target zone in jremote and the images were displayed on my device and also on the server (not clear why this happened). In other cases I have selected the "this device" option and it has still played back on the server.

with an MC client, I have a vanilla linux mc client connected to the server. By vanilla I mean it has a single zone named "Player". It is configured to not be able to target the server zones for playback. I don't see any way in which this Player zone could be linked to the server yet it will intermittently trigger playback on both the server and the client. The only consistent behaviour is that it only happens the first time I click play, i.e. if I stop playback on server and client and then play again, it plays on the client only.

Pages: [1]   Go Up