INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver Id on Raspberry 3 with DAC ALLO Piano or Boss  (Read 2401 times)

dominique-tanguy

• Recent member
JRiver Id on Raspberry 3 with DAC ALLO Piano or Boss
« on: June 17, 2017, 10:44:25 am »

Hi everybody,

I succeeded to install JRiver on the Rasberry. I could mount the NAS, rebuild the library locally and play to a USB DAC (FX-Audio FX-01). Not bad for a first day...

It seems that we do not have access to Raspian itself. I have fitted a ALLO Piano card on the Rasberry, I have rebooted the system but the card is not visible in JRiver nor in the text interface when I list the audio devices. It seems a line of code like this one shoul be added somewhere in a configuration file:

"dtoverlay=allo-piano-dac-pcm512x-audio" it seems also that there is a need to "enable I2s" DAC somewhere...

https://allo.com/sparky-eu/piano-dac.html

Should I try to access this kind of file with another Linux machine?

By the way, I closed the text menu by mistake... I cannot find a way to get it back on screen. Any idea?
I found a way out, rebooting with panel...

Update Sunday: I found a way to read the micro SD card with a PC loaded with Linux. I could access and edit the config.txt file in the boot folder, adding the dtoverlay instruction.
Unfortunately, no change, the DAC does not appear in the list. People using Volumio have a i2s DAC option to activate. May be something equivalent somewhere here?

Update Monday (am I alone here?): it seems that this thread is giving some interesting information concerning the availability of Allo drivers versus Raspbian version number:
https://forum.modmypi.com/technical-support/allo-boss-raspberry-pi-master-dac-t1369-20.html

Regards,

Dominique

BradATIMA

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: JRiver ID on Raspberry 3 with DAC ALLO Piano or Boss
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 09:40:19 am »

From the link you provided, it looks like the ALLO Piano card requires files in the 4.9 version of the kernel. Currently, the Id Pi uses kernel version 4.4. Unfortunately, there are no plans to update the kernel or add the files at this time. Sorry.

dominique-tanguy

• Recent member
Re: JRiver ID on Raspberry 3 with DAC ALLO Piano or Boss
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 10:19:52 am »

Thank you for the information.

I hope you eventually update the kernel. I will recommend JRiver Id to all my audio friends who are looking for a low cost high performance solution to reda their file.

The first results I have obtained with the small PI and JRiver are outstanding. So far, I was using a NUC i5 with Windows 10 and several different DAC's. The best result obtained so far is with a cheap FX-Audio FX-01, equipped with an excellent DAC from TI, the 5102. Strangely, the result I get with this DAC connected to the PI3 and JRiver ID is better than what I could obtain before with the NUC.

Using an HAT card like the ALLO BOSS, which is using the same family of chipset from TI, could be better by avoiding the USB port.

I will follow up the discussion to check if you finally upgrade the kernel one of these days.

In between, I might be tempted to try the PI3 with another distribution and player.

Dominique
Pages: [1]   Go Up