INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Exporting a List of Albums  (Read 3049 times)

fishtankfish

• Recent member
Exporting a List of Albums
« on: June 17, 2017, 03:26:56 pm »

Hey all,

I'm trying to export a list of the music albums I have in my library and all I can come up with is the XML of the entire library. I'm not exactly an XML expert, is there an easier way to get a list of what's in my library, perhaps even a way to select what fields I'd like to report?

Thanks!

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Exporting a List of Albums
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2017, 04:19:21 pm »

Sorta, kinda.  It takes some work, but can be done.  A basic outline:

1.  Make a smartlist that lists each album, but only one song per album.  Thus it becomes a list of albums.  You'll want to use the "remove duplicates of" directive in your smartlist definition in order to do this.
2.  Then set up your columns in your smartlist to show what you want:  Album name, year, artist, etc.
3.  Highlight all, then do File > export playlist.  Choose CSV, visible fields, and selection only.  This will become more obvious once you see the export playlist dialog.

Then you can import that CSV file into a spreadsheet or something like that.

Good luck!

Brian.

Spike1000

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2017, 09:31:43 pm »

Excel can import/open XML as a table as it understands the structure/formatting so XML output may not be as difficult to work with as you feared.

Spike

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2017, 12:21:30 am »

Sorta, kinda.  It takes some work, but can be done.  A basic outline:

1.  Make a smartlist that lists each album, but only one song per album.  Thus it becomes a list of albums.  You'll want to use the "remove duplicates of" directive in your smartlist definition in order to do this.
2.  Then set up your columns in your smartlist to show what you want:  Album name, year, artist, etc.
3.  Highlight all, then do File > export playlist.  Choose CSV, visible fields, and selection only.  This will become more obvious once you see the export playlist dialog.

Then you can import that CSV file into a spreadsheet or something like that.

There's an easier way.

1. Make smartlist
2. Select List Style as "Details" from smartlist view
3. Select a file
4. Ctrl+A (Select All to grab every item in the smartlist)
5. Ctrl+C (Copy)
6. Open Excel and Ctrl+V (Paste)
7. Manipulate data with Excel to suit your personal desires

... now crack a beer and chill - job done.

MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT
Pages: [1]   Go Up