INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Synching problem with Ipod  (Read 1859 times)

nick_laplaca

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Synching problem with Ipod
« on: July 02, 2003, 09:33:05 am »

I am not sure what is happening here but recently I added a file to  one of my mc9 playlist's and then synched it with my ipod and not only did the file not show up in the ipod playlist but there were fewer files than the mc'9' playlist on the ipod.My mc9 playlist shows 378 files but after synching, my ipods playlist that I synched only had 369. I tried resynching and each time I did , there were fewer and fewer files listed. I was down to 350 files. I don't understand what is happening here. I have had no problems up intil this point. I have 6 playlists and over 3000 songs. Like I said up until today it always synched flawlessly. I finally resorted to reformatting and starting from scratch. I shouldn't have had to do this. Anyone have any idea what could have been happening? This has been just a bit frustrating.  Nick

nick_laplaca

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Re: Synching problem with Ipod
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2003, 09:46:48 am »

Okay now its happening with another playlist. out of 2612 files that are apparently synched only 2080 actually wind up in my ipods playlist. This is making me highly annoyed and I am starting to regret buying this software when there are free options out there. Nick

Wobbley

• World Citizen
  • What a bum rap for a nice, sensitive guy like me
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2003, 10:24:22 am »

Nick,

Try using the iPod Support thread for future posts, but for right now, what options are you using when you sync?  Do you check "Delete Files Not in List"?  Do you check "Update Tags"?  Maybe you could briefly tell me the steps you take when you sync, so I'll be completely familiar with what you're doing.  I have, as do many others on this forum, a lot of experience w/ MC and the iPod, so I'll try to help.  MC (and iPod plugin) is a great product...don't give up just yet.

Wobbley

nick_laplaca

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2003, 11:00:29 am »

Okay sorry about posting in the wrong forum. Anyway I don't have"delete files not in the list checked. But I do have update tags checked off. I have actually tried it both ways just to experiment. This is what I have been doing to synch and it worked fine until today.if I import songs into my media library or rip a cd I locate those files in the library and right click then choose whatever playlist I want them to be in. Then I right click the ipod under 'cd,dvd,&handheld and choose synchronize from the drop down menu. Then I ensure that my playlist are selected and I hit okay. I then see the progress bar and it tells me that its synchronizing the files. Since this started happening I have been trying to focus on one list at a time to try to figure out what is happening, so I deselect the "delete files not in list" option. Like I said this has worked like A charm and I have been very impressed with it until this started happening. And I am using 9.0.180.someone in a forum at ipod lounge said they were having the same problem and it was being addressed by j  river. Hope this is enough info.  Nick

nick_laplaca

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2003, 11:24:11 am »

heres another problem that just popped up. I have pretty much had it with this. Ive wasted a whole day with this. Like I have nothing better to do than diagnose this darn thing. Anyway between all my playlist I have 3174 files in them. I reformatted once again and started from scratch because for some reason after the last synch only 2 of the 6 playlist I have showed up in my ipod even though all my files were on it. at least I thik they were. anyway after clicking the synch button it tells me that I am synching 29101 files and that it will take 5 hours.well obviously I don't anywhere near that many files. I really don't think I am doing anything wrong. I am doing the same thing I did when I first got this program 3 weeks ago. And I didn't have any problems during that period of time. I was starting to love this software.Now I can't make heads or tails of this. Nick

nick_laplaca

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2003, 11:39:43 am »

It just keeps getting better. Now when I try to synch the program just hangs until the"not responding" Message appears.then I have to restart the program and try again to no avail. I have have never had this much trouble with a piece of software before. Is it possible that it's hardware related? Nick

Wobbley

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2003, 11:44:41 am »

Nick,

You made me a bit paranoid because I've never really done a track count comparison between what's on playlists in MC and how many songs are actually on the iPod.  I did this check just now and the numbers match.

As for your latest discovery, did you, when you synced, make sure that no other playlists were checked?  This happened to me once...I hadn't checked the playlist myself, and I hadn't added any songs to the playlist, but it was one of the auto playlists created by MC and somehow it was checked...maybe you should check that.

If that doesn't work, hmmm...maybe you have duplicates in the playlists and the plugin is only copying over one version of the song?  I don't know, so I can't say for sure.  Also, can you check the playlist itself by opening it in notepad and just skim the files and make sure the file paths listed in the playlist are correct.

I had a problem, although nothing like this, which led me to check one of my playlists in notepad and I discovered that the file paths for some songs were incorrect...it was if the playlist had perhaps and old file path that I had since changed from within MC, but the playlist didn't get updated...

I will try to help, but maybe you copy the previous posts and post them in the iPod Support page so SteveG can see them more easily...he's going out of town for the 4th so he won't be able to do anything about it now, but he'll back on Monday or so (I presume) and could maybe address it then.  In the meantime, I'll try to help as much as I can...

Wobbley

Wobbley

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2003, 11:49:19 am »

Nick,

Theres' a new iPod Plugin (.37), so get that and retry your sync and see if you still have the problems.

Wobbley

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2003, 10:25:00 am »

Nick,

If you are still stuck, get the latest version and try a reformat and then update me so I can help you out more on Monday. The file count when synching is a count of all the files synching which includes duplicates when you have one file in multiple playlists.  

Steve

Wobbley,

Thanks for helping out.

nick_laplaca

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2003, 05:54:53 pm »

Steve I did do a reformat and resynched all my lists and everything seems fine. I also got the new plugin. Although after I download it plugin manager says its .36 not .37 I haven't really added any files since i synched all my lists so I don't really know though. I'll post back If I have any problems. Thanks for the Help. Nick

Wobbley

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2003, 11:02:43 am »

Nick,

Glad you have everything worked out now.  Needless to say, and I'm sure Steve (and others) would concur with this, sometimes things just happen...you do the same thing you've always done, but this one time, something goes wrong...you can't explain it, you can't recreate it, you didn't do anything any differently than you've done before...anyway, I think we've all experienced it...

Just wanted to get that bit out to everyone, including Steve, who encounters the rare, but inevitable, problem when it comes to synching songs with the iPod...

Personally, I am unwaiveringly suspcious that Apple has intentionally cocked-up the firmware for the WinPods to further frustrate, and thus entice, us winnies into buying a Mac of some sort.  I've a few friends that have the new gen iPods, but they use Macs, and although I acknowledge that it could be meerly coincidental, they have had no problems with their 1, 2, or 3Gen iPods (especially the 3 Gen w/ firmware update...no problems at all), whereas I, and other WinPod owners, have had several annoying, while not debilitating, problems with the WinPods...

Just my $.02...

Wobbley
Pages: [1]   Go Up