INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Two Libraries accessing the same NAS files?  (Read 1812 times)

drmimosa

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Two Libraries accessing the same NAS files?
« on: June 19, 2017, 01:03:05 pm »

Hello, I have a question regarding multiple libraries accessing the same disk of media files. Is there any problem this could cause, ie tag changes from one library may corrupt the other library on the other machine? Or, are there any potential problems having MC23 on one machine, MC22 on the other, both library point to the same media files on the NAS?

kr4

• MC Beta Team
Re: Two Libraries accessing the same NAS files?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 02:06:45 pm »

Works fine for me.  I have had 3 different machines with different MC libraries accessing the same NAS at the same time.  I was not doing heavy-duty tagging but I did a bit without thinking of the consequences.
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

robt

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 03:08:29 pm »

Why not just create one library on one machine and then share it with the others? Of course this does require your "master" machine to be always available.

I started by creating seperate libraries in each machine I use, but then there is the problem of keeping them in sync. I find one library is much better and it even works for tv meaning you don't have to scan and set up channels on each machine which is a lot of work.

I use a low power NUC i3 which seems to be happy to be on 24/7.

drmimosa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 09:19:34 pm »

Thank you, all good ideas and information. The problem I have is that the PC that is always on is my least powerful machine. I wanted to do things like sync handhelds with a more powerful client computer, but that seemed to always go through the server for transcoding (the server created cache mp3s and it took a long time.)

So my solution was to have a "work" library that accesses the same files.

Another solution would be to upgrade the server to a more powerful machine, and the NUC looks great for that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up