INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC20 frozen on Id  (Read 6830 times)

tuneup

• Galactic Citizen
MC20 frozen on Id
« on: June 20, 2017, 11:35:11 pm »

Today I attempted to install an Id for a client and after successfully updating the Id and mounting a NAS drive, in the process of trying to import a library, MC20 froze up. (MC20 came with the Id and this installation didn't get completed for a long time due to client's having to reschedule many times.) Problem started because I mistakenly ran auto-import before configuring it with the exact NAS folder I wanted it to use. But I did direct it to the correct NAS. MC20 proceeded to load a bunch of music the client didn't recognize, said this music was definitely not on his NAS and thought it might be in his Google Music, to which I didn't direct MC20. I have no idea where this music came from. So I then cleared that library (File, Library, Clear Library). Once it was cleared, MC20 froze. I could put the cursor arrow on any menu in the top task bar or the left side (Playing Now, etc.) and nothing happens. This includes trying to close the program. All I could do was force the Id to shut down using the power button. When it restarted, MC20 was still frozen. I am willing to update it to MC23 if that will be the quickest way to get a functioning MC program. I am planning to return there tomorrow and I suspect I might even be able to work with the client on the phone to direct the import to the correct folder. JRemote is connecting to the Id, but not yet seeing any music so I expect the system to be fully functioning as soon as the Id imports the correct library. The renderer is a Bel Canto RefStream.

(I am posting this again because it looks like I posted it in the wrong place, a spot I wound up in when search for a solution to this problem.)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC20 frozen on Id
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 05:33:59 am »

The current Id uses MC22.

You said that you successfully update the Id.  If so, you should have MC22.

"Frozen" may just mean that it's working.  Let it run overnight.

tuneup

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 11:21:49 am »

Thanks Jim. When I woke up this morning, I had the intuition that it might still be working and send such a note to my client. Haven't heard back from him yet to see if he can get a response to a mouse click from the program. If I may make a suggestion, it would be nice if MC would let you know with some kind of either progress bar or text bubble saying something like "Still working."

Please remind me where to find Status for the NAS in the Id menu.

tuneup

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 12:18:12 pm »

Just heard from client. MC still appears to be locked up and will not respond to any mouse click or keyboard stroke. I hope to be there by 3 p.m. Central time. Can you give me instructions for reinstalling the program or any other solution you suggest? Should I try 77 in the text menu as a form of resetting the program?

Also, I found it difficult to get from the MC screen back to the text menu screen. I tried clicking on the Workspace numbers at the lower left of the monitor, but it didn't change what was filling the screen. I sometimes got stuck with a screen with just a large abstract symbol in Japanese brush stroke style.

BradATIMA

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 12:54:37 pm »

Please remind me where to find Status for the NAS in the Id menu.

It's in the External Media Menu, so from the menu you'll want option 20 and then option 13. You can also access it from the Id's Settings page on Panel. It's under External Devices and then Show Network Drives.

Just heard from client. MC still appears to be locked up and will not respond to any mouse click or keyboard stroke. I hope to be there by 3 p.m. Central time. Can you give me instructions for reinstalling the program or any other solution you suggest? Should I try 77 in the text menu as a form of resetting the program?

You can try option 77 and see if that works. Otherwise, to reinstall, you'll need to create a repair stick. You can find instruction for doing that here:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,94636.0.html
You'll need a USB stick that is at least 1GB in size. After you create it, you'll need to boot the repair stick on the Id. You could try a file system check first, otherwise you can restore the Id firmware.

tuneup

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2017, 01:32:39 pm »

Thanks. I'll keep you posted.

tuneup

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2017, 02:04:18 pm »

I decided to create the boot stick before I left for my client's place. No problem putting Rufus on the stick. But downloading the NUC repair image isn't working. If it's only 1 gig, it should download quickly, but the progress bar in Firefox on my laptop keeps going between 3m and 14m for the predicted download time and it never finishes. My wi-fi is about 70 Gbps.

tuneup

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2017, 02:12:21 pm »

Progress bar is finally nearly full and saying 30s. Ok, fully downloaded. When I click on the file, a Toshiba Disc Creator window opens and shows the DVD-R drive on the right, but not the USB stick, and many things on the left, such as Computer, Network, Control Panel and some folders, but not the download. What to do?

tuneup

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2017, 02:18:29 pm »

I right-clicked on the download instead of double-clicking, then opened the folder and found the ISO file and dragged it to the stick, where it is now downloading. Does this sound right to you?

BradATIMA

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2017, 02:51:40 pm »

You don't need to put anything on the USB stick. You use Rufus to create the repair stick, so you can just run Rufus from your computer with the USB stick inserted. Make sure you don't have anything on the stick because it will get destroyed when Rufus creates the repair stick. Then, follow these instructions.

When you run Rufus, most of it is already configured properly. Make sure the right device is listed at the top (the USB stick). You should enter a 'New volume label.' The format options should already be configured (make sure the last three checkboxes are checked). Then, next to 'Create a bootable disk using,' select DD image from the dropdown menu. Click on the drive icon next to the dropdown menu to browse for and select the repair ISO. Then click start. You should get another pop-up. At the bottom of that pop-up, check 'Write in DD Image Mode' and click ok. You'll need to click again to confirm you're destroying all the data on the USB stick, but after that it should run. Once it's done, you should be ready to go.

tuneup

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2017, 03:53:43 pm »

Am back at client's home. MC20 - that's right, the Id update did not install MC22 - was still stuck. I did a forced shut down (5 second press of power button) and restart. MC20 opened and not only could I click on things, but the library I had told it to clear was still there. I minimized it and ran the update again. It's still MC20.

Q1. Should I bother trying to clear the library it or will loading a new library from the correct folder clear it automatically?

Q2. I tried to browse to the nas within the import setup process, but couldn't find it. Please send info or a link on how to find it.

I ran the update a 2nd time and when finished it says:
"The following packages have unmet dependencies:
engen: Depends: jriverid (>=22.0.36) but 20.0.100 is to be installed
E:Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
Finished update. Hit enter to reboot."

What should I do? Try 77 or something else?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2017, 04:34:36 pm »

I misunderstood which update you did.  MC20 is fine.

I think you will need Bob to answer your questions now.

BradATIMA

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2017, 04:50:40 pm »

Q1. Should I bother trying to clear the library it or will loading a new library from the correct folder clear it automatically?

It's possible Media Center is getting stuck trying to import a bad file. Loading a different library could correct this, but if the problem persists, you might want to try option 77 to delete the library.

Q2. I tried to browse to the nas within the import setup process, but couldn't find it. Please send info or a link on how to find it.

At the moment, I don't remember what the exact path was to browse to a mounted drive. You might need to start at the File System and check /mnt.

You don't need to worry about the error message. It's only holding back Engen because it requires additional dependencies that are in MC22 for the Id. The only way to update the Id to MC22 is by creating an MC22 repair stick. It's the same process as creating the repair stick I described earlier, but you need the MC22 repair image. I included a link to it, but this will also require an MC22 Id license (if you bought an MC20 Id you can get one for free).

tuneup

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2017, 05:33:41 pm »

77 didn't delete the library or it deleted it and then reloaded it. I did 77 again and this time it deleted it.  Before I did that I redid the mount nas drive process and was able to browse to the nas, but while it said "Success, //jvdiskstation/music on /mnt/JVDISKSTATION", it isn't letting me get to the exact music folder I need, which is named "JV FLAC" and is one of 3 folders in "music". It turns out that the weird music my client didn't recognize was stuff a friend had given him. I deleted that whole folder on the nas, but somehow the library got reloaded in MC20 when I told it to import jvdiskstation. I have no idea how it could do this after I deleted that folder. I did a repeat and it didn't import anything, which means it isn't seeing the JV FLAC folder. 

I next tried Disconnect from Library and MC20 is either taking more than 10 minutes to disconnect or it has frozen again. This is extremely frustrating for me and my client. I would like to upgrade to MC22 as I hope that will both get rid of the old library and stop MC from freezing, but I don't see the link in your post. Please post or send by private message. I have to leave shortly to visit another client. I will continue here tomorrow. I will set up the MC22 stick at home tonight.

If you don't know how I can browse to the JV FLAC folder, can you direct me to someone who does? Do you by any chance know of a programmer in the San Francisco Bay Area that I could pay to complete this installation? I have only installed one other Id, my own, and that was extremely difficult, but this 2nd attempt with a client is even worse.

tuneup

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2017, 05:47:46 pm »

I tried a fresh import from jvdiskstation and it says there are zero files there. But when I view it in Windows, it is loaded with music.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2017, 06:12:58 pm »

The NAS location is probably case sensitive.

You may need to specify which file types you want to import.

tuneup

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2017, 08:56:49 pm »

I still need the MC22 link. When I install that on my own Id, will it keep the mounted drive in place? I can't risk having to set it up again and getting stuck as I am with my client's Id.

Would I be able to look at my own Id, which is functioning perfectly, to see the exact settings for the mounted nas that I have there? It is the same brand as my client's and the only difference in naming it was that I added his initials in front of the name. File type is the same (FLAC). Or tomorrow I could look it up in his PC where MC20 is successfully running the system.

Is the B in Brad for Bob or is your name Brad?

tuneup

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2017, 11:28:08 pm »

I know the NAS location is case sensitive and I got it exactly right by looking at it on the network in a Windows laptop. I just looked in my laptop at my home system and started to do a Configure Auto-Import to see what I could observe. To my surprise, when I browsed to the NAS in Windows in Folder Settings window, I found to my surprise: \\DISKSTATION\music\. This has the slashes in the opposite direction from what is shown in the Id Install Guide. When you browse in the Id, you have to write in the path, as opposed to being able to see it directly as you can in Windows. Should I try reversing the slashes to backslashes when I type in the path?

As far as file types, the only choice I see is a checkbox marked "Ignore special files (folder.jpg, etc.)" and this box is pre-checked. I don't see anyplace where I can select a file type as I can when I save a doc in Windows.

BradATIMA

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2017, 09:25:29 am »

Sorry, I forgot to include the link to the MC22 Id repair image. You can find it here (in step 4):

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,110326.0.html

Make sure you do the file system check (option 1) before you do the upgrade (option 4). Unfortunately, upgrading it to MC22 will not get rid of the library, and it should not lose any of the mount configurations. If you want to compare it to the mount configuration on your own Id, you can do that in the External Media Menu (option 20 then 12). That will show you the current configuration. However, just using the same configuration might not work. Can you check the status of the of the network drive and post the results here? It's option 20 then 13. Even though it shows up in /mnt it might not be mounted correctly.

As far as the backslashes on Windows going in the opposite direction, that's normal. That's just how Windows does it, but Linux does it differently. You don't want to try using backslashes on Linux.

I am a bit confused about one thing. Are you trying to import from the NAS or load it as a library? I only ask because you mentioned disconnecting from a library at one point.

What model NUC are you trying to install this on? Was this purchased through JRiver or was the NUC purchased somewhere else?

Brad

tuneup

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2017, 11:34:18 am »

Thanks Brad. I will bring my Id there as I left my 26" monitor at his house, the only HDMI monitor I own. Or I may try bringing my Id into the living room here to hook up to my 60" plasma to see the current configuration. I will check his config and post it here. (I will get there about 1:30 your time, but will 1st have to deal with a video problem on his TV [daughter is at home and needs to be able to watch.])

I am trying to only load a library (index of music files, if I understand the term correctly). The NAS stores all the music files and the Bel Canto RefStream is the renderer.

NUC was purchased from JRiver and it is the NUC5CPYH.

I am trying to understand how it was able to load the library of his friend's music that we are trying to get rid of, but now won't load the library he does want. One difference was the unwanted files were MP3 and the music we want is FLAC. But I also redid the NAS mounting process between the 2 attempts and may have changed the name slightly. (Both drive mounts did say "Success" though so I don't know why the recent attempts to load the library aren't working.)

I noticed that in my NAS each composer has a separate folder (viewed in Windows), but there are no larger parent folders like JV FLAC and JV MP3, as there are in his NAS. So in my case, there is no reason to direct the Id to any folder beyond "music", whereas in his I don't want the Id to look at the MP3 folder, which is just for downloads to his phone. Right now the MP3 folder is empty so it really shouldn't matter if I can't direct the Id to the FLAC folder in particular. Got to run now.

Bernie

BradATIMA

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2017, 12:55:46 pm »

When you're mounting the NAS and giving it the path to the share, you could try giving it the path all the way to the flac folder.

tuneup

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2017, 01:23:14 pm »

Just checked my Id's config and status on my TV. It is definitely different from what I noted down for his on the "Success" line after mounting the NAS. I will go there now and match it exactly except for NAS name and I will add FLAC folder to path and directory name (if that is the correct term) as you suggest. I know there is no guaranty this will work. Will keep you posted.

BradATIMA

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2017, 02:40:07 pm »

I also just want to be sure about one thing. If you're trying to connect to the NAS as a DLNA library by selecting it from the Libraries section and using Load Library, you don't need to mount the NAS for that. However, if you're trying to import music into the Main Library, you do need to mount the NAS for that. This method for accessing music from the NAS is better than connecting to it as a DLNA library if there are a lot of media files on the NAS.

tuneup

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2017, 02:53:57 pm »

I definitely want to mount it as a drive. The NAS is 3 TB with 1TB already full and much more music to come. I just finished with his TV and will start on remounting the NAS>.

tuneup

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2017, 03:07:49 pm »

Before I remount the drive, will importing the library of the new mount erase the old library of the music he doesn't want? Or do I have to clear the library as a first step?

20/13: His status is the same as mine - "Available Shares". But when I do auto-import, zero files are loaded. I just tried to configure import with this folder: /mnt/JVDISKSTATION/music/JV FLAC and when I hit OK I got: "The directory could not be found. Please enter a valid directory that you have permission to access." I will remount the NAS now.

BradATIMA

« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2017, 03:37:15 pm »

If all it's showing for the drive status (option 20->13) it sounds like it's not mounted properly. After "Available Shares" should be few lines of text with the drive status. It should look something this:

//QNAP-NAS/Music on /mnt/QNAPWindows type cifs (ro,relatime,vers=1.0,sec=none,cache=strict,domain=QNAP-NAS,uid=0,noforceuid,gid=0,noforcegid,addr=<IP>,file_mode=0755,dir_mode=0755,nounix,serverino,mapposix,rsize=61440,wsize=65536,echo_interval=60,actimeo=1)

At this point, it's hard to say why it's not mounting properly. It could be a permission issue with the folder you're trying to access. What parameters are you using when you try to mount it? If you're using a username and password, don't post them.

tuneup

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2017, 03:46:40 pm »

As soon as I saw "permissions" I started cursing Windows. I have no idea how to deal with that. I am using user ID and p/w. But if I don't have permissions, how did it import that first unwanted library?

The current configuration on client Id is:

Share Path           
1   //JVDISKSTATION/music

Remounting the drive did not work. H

tuneup

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2017, 03:47:43 pm »

Don't know why the post was sent. I wasn't done. Hold on a sec.

tuneup

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2017, 03:54:49 pm »

Share Path                           Directory on the Id             Options
1   //JVDISKSTATION/music   /mnt/myNAS  -orw,credentials=home/
                                       media/9d31251ed28733a90d1c5014642bf476

Can you see any problem here?

What is wrong with the Id software that it keeps saying I have successfully mounted the drive and then says there are zero files there?

Is there any way we can work on the phone? This is my third day in a row here and I stopped billing the client yesterday. I need to solve this problem.                                                                                                               

tuneup

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2017, 03:59:29 pm »

I can send you my whole setup script so you might find an error.

tuneup

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2017, 04:05:22 pm »

Path to share: //JVDISKSTATION/music
Directory name of the Id: myNAS (I don't know if this is correct; I am following example in the Id Install Guide. Should it be mnt/myNAS?)
Win cptr? no
Read only? rw
Guest access? no
User name
P/W

tuneup

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2017, 04:10:52 pm »

I see that posting screwed up the format of the config. Options starts with -orw.

tuneup

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2017, 04:23:00 pm »

MC20 is finally loading the correct library!!!

tuneup

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2017, 04:35:48 pm »

While I was waiting to hear from you, I decided to remount. When I entered myNAS for directory name, it told me it was already in use. So I changed it to mynas and successfully finished the process as you saw in a previous post. Then I rebooted the Id. MC immediately gave me the 30-second warning that it will start to load the library. I let it do its thing and it loaded the 2 subfolders (within JV FLAC) with no problems. I will send you updated status.

tuneup

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2017, 04:47:03 pm »

Status now has lots written below Available Shares, as per your example. It has 2 drives listed separately: myNAS and mynas. Should I delete one of them? I would rather do nothing unless you tell me it could cause problems to have both drives listed. The descriptions of both drives are identical except for NAS vs. nas. When I look at the folders in Media Import, I see both /mnt/JVDISKSTATION and /mnt/myNAS, but no /mnt/mynas. I can easily delete /mnt/mynas with 20/11. Let me know.

BradATIMA

« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2017, 07:54:46 am »

I had assumed that because Media Center was freezing that the Id was rebooted multiple times; however, this is starting to sound like the Id was not rebooted, which would explain the problem with the NAS. After going through the process of adding the NAS, was the Id rebooted? The Id needs to reboot after this process because the mounting takes place during the startup, so you won't actually be able to see any files on the NAS until the Id reboots. Does that sound possible?

tuneup

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2017, 03:30:16 pm »

Brad, I thought about this very thing last night and was going to ask you about the possibility today. I have to add that nowhere in the Id Install Guide or in the software, as you complete the drive mounting process, does it say you need to reboot in order to complete mounting the drive.  To quote from the instructions: "Using this menu, you can tell the Id to add (mount)the drive. Then in the Media Center menu, you can tell MC to import the files or to watch certain folders for certain types of files." Between those 2 sentences is where it should have said that you need to reboot the Id in order to complete mounting the drive. Or in the software, once you see "Success...", instead of saying just "Hit ENTER to continue" which returns you to the main menu, it should say: "Hit ENTER to continue and then select 98 to reboot." I am not a computer geek, so when I make setup changes, I need to see something that tells me how to finalize the operation. For example, when I change channels in my Wi-Fi router, I am asked if I want to apply the changes. I would have saved 2 client visits (about 8 unpaid hours) and a lot of frustration had I seen such an instruction. Thanks again for all your help and please add the changes I suggest above. It will be of great help to all MC users who are just music/film lovers and not also computer geeks.

BradATIMA

« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2017, 03:54:54 pm »

Granted, it may not be very obvious, but in the success message, it does imply the Id needs to be rebooted. The success message is "Success, <Share Path> will be available as /mnt/<directory> on the next boot with the following options" but I can see if a clearer message is an option. I'm sorry for the inconvenience. I should have mentioned rebooting much earlier.

tuneup

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2017, 04:14:44 pm »

Ok. Sorry I missed that. Maybe if it said reboot instead of boot I would have caught it. And maybe not. Again, a lot of your users aren't geeks and a clearer instruction for something so important would be immensely helpful. I will certainly take some responsibility for what happened.
Pages: [1]   Go Up