INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Some noticeable screen tearing on MC23.0.10 Beta  (Read 2079 times)

Rizlaw

• Galactic Citizen
Some noticeable screen tearing on MC23.0.10 Beta
« on: June 22, 2017, 08:33:05 pm »

I have noticed screen tearing (mild amount) in both MC 22.0.108 and MC 23.0.10 Beta. Mostly on SciFi movies when film is panning up/down or left/right. I' m using a GTX1080 video card and Acer Predator 34x14 monitor (21x9 aspect ratio). I don't see this tearing if I decrease the widescreen image in MC22 or 23 by going from full screen to "normal" screen (not sure what else to call it in MC). I also don't see tearing when viewing the same films in Gnome MPV video player. I'm using the latest Nvidia 381 proprietary driver for Ubuntu Gnome 17.04.

6/23/17: I did some more troubleshooting this morning. I turned off and disconnected the second monitor (NEC 2490WUXI) and disconnected it from the computer. It has a lower resolution (1920x1200) than monitor 1, so I thought the difference in monitor resolutions might be contributing to the tearing issue. Unfortunately, this did not eliminate the problem, but it did seem to mitigate it a little bit in full screen mode (3440x1440) where the tearing is most noticeable.

BTW, on a dual monitor setup (like I use) can MC23 be on monitor 2 and playback of movies on monitor 1? I can't find any settings in MC that would facilitate this type of movie playback.
Ubuntu Gnome 20.04 LTS

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Some noticeable screen tearing on MC23.0.10 Beta
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 12:18:56 pm »

I have noticed screen tearing (mild amount) in both MC 22.0.108 and MC 23.0.10 Beta. Mostly on SciFi movies when film is panning up/down or left/right. I' m using a GTX1080 video card and Acer Predator 34x14 monitor (21x9 aspect ratio). I don't see this tearing if I decrease the widescreen image in MC22 or 23 by going from full screen to "normal" screen (not sure what else to call it in MC). I also don't see tearing when viewing the same films in Gnome MPV video player. I'm using the latest Nvidia 381 proprietary driver for Ubuntu Gnome 17.04.

6/23/17: I did some more troubleshooting this morning. I turned off and disconnected the second monitor (NEC 2490WUXI) and disconnected it from the computer. It has a lower resolution (1920x1200) than monitor 1, so I thought the difference in monitor resolutions might be contributing to the tearing issue. Unfortunately, this did not eliminate the problem, but it did seem to mitigate it a little bit in full screen mode (3440x1440) where the tearing is most noticeable.

BTW, on a dual monitor setup (like I use) can MC23 be on monitor 2 and playback of movies on monitor 1? I can't find any settings in MC that would facilitate this type of movie playback.
I'm not sure what to say about the tearing, I've not see it.

As far as the monitor selection goes, we are starting to implement that in linux now.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Some noticeable screen tearing on MC23.0.10 Beta
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2017, 01:56:16 am »

Screen tearing is more of a generic issue on Linux with the proprietary drivers, especially Nvidia. But the few AMD cards I've had, had tearing issues too.

Anyway, there is a fix. Try this from a terminalas your regular user (no sudo):

Code: [Select]
nvidia-settings --assign CurrentMetaMode="nvidia-auto-select +0+0 { ForceFullCompositionPipeline = On }"
Your screen will blink for a sec and come back. Test it and if it works, adjust /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-nvidia.conf:

Code: [Select]
Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Option         "metamodes" "nvidia-auto-select +0+0 { ForceFullCompositionPipeline = On }"
    Option         "AllowIndirectGLXProtocol" "off"
    Option         "TripleBuffer" "on"
EndSection

You may have to adjust the above a bit to accomodate for current values in that file, or if you have other exotic configurations. failure to do so may result in a black screen or xorg no longer starting after a reboot. Also check there aren't any other files in that directory with conflicting settings.

Ps. make a backup of the files you change :).
Pages: [1]   Go Up