INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: concatenate 3 ripped CD's into one album  (Read 3190 times)

kmmcd

• Junior Woodchuck
concatenate 3 ripped CD's into one album
« on: June 23, 2017, 12:15:23 am »

I ripped  3-CD set of Shostakovich piano preludes and fugues into three respective albums (.flac). How can I concatenate the three albums into one large album?

Spike1000

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: concatenate 3 ripped CD's into one album
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 01:46:24 am »

Edit the Album tags so they are all identical and the tracks will appear as one album. You should also renumber the tracks otherwise you'll have 3 1s, 3 2s, 3 3s etc. You may want to edit the Disc # for each 'CD'. I tag my multi disc albums as one album but edit the Disc # to reflect the CD in the series.

Spike

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 05:15:17 am »

I'd suggest that you use "Link Tracks".

In standard view, select the files desired > Right-click / context menu > Library Tools > Link Tracks

... job done
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 06:24:38 am »

I would:

1.  Edit the Disc # tag for each disc to 1, 2, 3 in the order that makes sense.
2.  See if they appear as one album.  If they do not, check the [Album] tag and make sure the [Album] is the same for all.
3.  Check to see if they are all one album now.  If not, check the [Artist] tag.  You will probably find that [Artist] is different from track to track somewhere.  The solution to this problem is to set [Album Artist] to a single value for ALL tracks.  See more details about [Album Artist] here:

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Album_Artist_and_Album_Artist_(Auto)

Good luck.

Brian.

Kid Twist

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2017, 09:08:25 am »

I did the same thing with the three-disc Nikolaeva set of preludes and fugues. As the others said, renumber all the tracks so they're consecutive, 1-24, and make sure the album title is identical on all your files. But also check to make sure that the album artist field reads the same on all your tracks, as well.

DJLegba

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2017, 09:26:05 am »

There is no need to renumber the tracks. Just use the disc # field as others have suggested.

kmmcd

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2017, 12:11:49 pm »

Thanks for all of the timely suggestions. I shall proceed forthwith, after I understand one thing:

If I renumber the track number (which appears in windows explorer as a prefix to the file name), do I perform this renumbering operation within MC, or in W10 explorer?

blgentry

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2017, 12:18:30 pm »

I would not alter the track numbers.  I would just change the [Disc #] field for each disc.  Less work, and more "proper" for a collection like this.

But if you want to change track numbers to be fully consecutive you can.  You would do this within MC.  Then, after it looks right in MC,  you can change the file names too if you want, using RM&C.  That's optional.  MC doesn't care what the file names are; only the tags.

Brian.

kmmcd

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2017, 02:42:10 pm »

blgentry:

What is "RM&C?" Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2017, 02:59:16 pm »

Rename, Move, or Copy.  It's an MC tool.

blgentry

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2017, 05:33:54 pm »

As Jim said, RM&C is the Rename, Move, and Copy files tool.  It's actually one of JRiver's best features, but it's sort of "hidden" because a lot of people don't know about it, or don't know what you can do with it.

RM&C can change your file names to be any format you want using the tags in MC's library.  So you could name your files with track numbers and names.  Or just names.  Or just track numbers.  Or the album and the name.  Or any combination you can think of.

It can also move files around on disk you.  If your files and folders are disorganized, you can use RM&C to move them around and impose a structure.  This is done by selecting files and then telling RM&C what to do.  It's not some sort of automatic, behind the scenes feature like Itunes AWFUL "keep library organized feature".  It's a tool that users can employ when they want, using THEIR RULES on some (or all) of their files.

RM&C is also very useful when moving your collection from computer to computer.  Or migrating files from one drive to another drive with a different drive letter.  RM&C makes all of this fast and easy and preserves all of MC's information about your collection.  There's essentially no reason to ever have to "re-import" all of your files in MC.  Using RM&C you can bypass all of that and be back up and running in no time, with all of your import dates, play counts, etc intact.

I guess that's my pitch on RM&C for the day.  :)

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Rename,_Move,_and_Copy_Files

Brian.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

Spike1000

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2017, 12:46:18 am »

I would not alter the track numbers.  I would just change the [Disc #] field for each disc.  Less work, and more "proper" for a collection like this.

No one answer to this. I tend to tag tracks independent of the media they are transported on (although I do use the Disc # for compatibility  :)). I don't think anyone tags CDs with Side A tracks 1-4, Side B tracks 1-5 etc  so I don't worry about tying the track numbers to a physical CD any more. Either way MC will display the tracks in the correct playing order and that's all that really matters.

Spike
Pages: [1]   Go Up