INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Black screen with ROHQ  (Read 4514 times)

ppataki

• World Citizen
Black screen with ROHQ
« on: June 23, 2017, 05:09:28 am »

Hello,
Just installed MC23 and if I play a video (1080p or 2160p, does not matter) I can see black screen only
Sound and subtitles are working fine

Any ideas please?

tony ferrier

• Recent member
Re: Black screen with ROHQ
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 09:19:47 am »

I have similar issue, I turned off hardware accelerate video decoding

ppataki

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 09:27:51 am »

The problem with that is if you play a 4K HDR video that is 50-70GB big you need GPU acceleration otherwise the CPU is having a hard time and screen is choppy
There must be a way of resolving this as it works fine in MPC-BE too

tony ferrier

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 10:08:46 am »

Wonder if its the latest LAV codecs they have updated to. I changed to Red October HQ and it seems to be fine? what setting are you on

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2017, 11:45:12 am »

Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

ppataki

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2017, 03:43:55 pm »

I am using LAV 0.70 and madVR 0.91.10
If I switch off Hardware Acceleration the picture comes back, however the CPU starts to sweat

I have found kind of a workaround though:
- change video mode to Advanced - Custom
- add source/splitter: LAV Splitter and LAV Splitter Source
- add video decoder: LAV and audio decoder: LAV
- add video renderer: madVR

if I do this DXVA is still not enabled however the CPU stays much cooler; no idea why
also noticed that if I change video renderer to video renderer (with integrated decoding) using madVR the picture goes black, the same way as using ROHQ with Hardware Acceleration on

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2017, 06:02:02 pm »

There really is no huge difference between using a custom LAV and the built-in LAV, assuming you use the same version in both. MC uses 99% default settings for LAV Video.

Disabled Hardware decoding obviously is the "None" hardware acceleration in LAV, so it should be pretty much identical in performance.

Enabled Hardware decoding in MC depends on your GPU, and RO Standard or ROHQ, since the different modes don't work equally well on all systems.
- In RO Standard, "DXVA2 Native" is used on all GPUs as the preferred mode
- In RO HQ, "DXVA2 Copy-Back" is preferred for NVIDIA and Intel GPUs, while "DXVA2 Native" is used for AMD (because Copy-Back is often quite slow on AMD)

So basically, I don't see how adding a custom LAV would resolve anything, unless the version you have installed in your system is actually a different one, and/or hardware acceleration settings are different.

That leaves madVR, which is actually quite more likely. We don't really support people manually upgrading madVR - its certainly possible to do, but we can't really offer support for that case.
I would recommend several steps to try to figure out what is actually at fault:
1) Change the advanced mode and only specify madVR as video renderer, not any splitter or decoder (it'll automatically use the built-in versions then), and test that config
2) Use plain RO HQ, delete the madvr plugins folder and let MC re-install the version its currently shipping with, and see if that resolves it
3) If even 2 above didn't help, then additionally go into the MC madvr plugins folder and execute the "restore default settings.bat" file. Note however that this will remove any custom madVR settings you may have performed.

If either one of those works, I would bet on a conflict in the madVR settings somewhere. Perhaps the version within MC you manually upgraded still uses the madVR settings file from the far older version we included with it - and as experience has shown, sometimes madVR doesn't really like running on old config files, especially when big changes to the options structure happened, like it did in 0.91

Upgrading madVR can be a bit finnicky at times, especially if you happen to be running two different versions, since madVR stores its setting in the registry so those two versions can collide and possibly make a mess of your settings.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

ppataki

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2017, 04:00:06 pm »

Thank you Hendrik for the explanation!

Based on that I have managed to find the issue:
in Custom mode if I use DXVA Copy-back I have perfect picture but if I change it to DXVA Native the screen goes black!
So indeed it is a LAV (or AMD) issue

Now we know where the issue is, I hope somebody will be able to fix it too
On the other hand, DXVA Copy-back just works fine too, CPU load is torelable using an Intel E3 CPU

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2017, 05:07:41 pm »

I might switch it to DXVA2 Copy-Back for AMD as well in ROHQ, DXVA2 Native is a bit unpredictable with madVR, especially on AMD cards. Worst case it runs a bit slow, but not black screen.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

ppataki

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2017, 11:47:50 pm »

I agree, that would be great!
Thank you

robt

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2017, 02:13:05 am »

A quick associated question please, ROHQ states it requires a "fast computer".

Can anyone define a fast computer please, or specifically should my Intel NUC6 i3 be able to run ROHQ without issue?

Thanks

Ps - I started the other thread referred to by Yaobing about a video problem in v23

Manfred

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2017, 06:36:19 am »

The performance limiting factor for ROHQ is the GPU on your HW. I assume you have an i3-6100U with Intel HD520 with a video passmark of 858.
For FHD you could use ROHQ with the predefined settings given by the MC team. Higher algorithm like NEEDI3 or NGU are out of scope of this type of GPU.

4k: Upscale content like 540p/i or 1080p to 4k can not been done with this type of GPU due to to my experience and what I have seen on different frorums. If you want to use the KI based algorithm you need at minimum something like GTX 1060.
WS (AMD Ryzen 7 5700G, 32 GB DDR4-3200, 2x2 TB SDD, LG 34UC98-W)-USB|ADI-2 DAC FS|Canton AM5 - File Server (i3-3.9 GHz, 16GB ECC DDR4-2400, 46 TB disk space) - Media Renderer (i3-3.8 GHz, 8GB DDR4-2133, GTX 960)-USB|Devialet D220 Pro|Audeze LCD 2|B&W 804S|LG 4K OLED )

robt

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2017, 06:50:35 am »

Thanks Manfred for the reply.

I have tried ROHQ with default settings on my NUC and it mostly works but I do see occasional glitches and flickers. I asked if it should work, so I can try and tweak things to get rid of the glitches.

I was concerned I was expecting too much, but when it is working, the picture from my HDHomerun at 1080p to a Sony KDL32W705 is stunning! Really good using ROS, even better at ROHQ....

Any suggestions what I might turn down / off to prevent the glitches?

Cheers and sorry to take this off topic. Perhaps we need a new thread for Red October and madVR?

Manfred

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2017, 01:42:05 pm »

Goal should be to have no dropped frames.

With pressing CTRL J during playback you could look at your rendering times which should be lower than 16.67=1/60fps for video (e.g shot by a video camera) or less than 41.67ms =1/24 fps for film.

Also get GPU-Z to look at your GPU utilization.
WS (AMD Ryzen 7 5700G, 32 GB DDR4-3200, 2x2 TB SDD, LG 34UC98-W)-USB|ADI-2 DAC FS|Canton AM5 - File Server (i3-3.9 GHz, 16GB ECC DDR4-2400, 46 TB disk space) - Media Renderer (i3-3.8 GHz, 8GB DDR4-2133, GTX 960)-USB|Devialet D220 Pro|Audeze LCD 2|B&W 804S|LG 4K OLED )

robt

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2017, 02:42:15 pm »

Thanks for that. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet but I will and will report my results.

Cheers

Pages: [1]   Go Up