INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wasapi 44.1 you are not playing music anymore  (Read 3479 times)

uniman4

• Recent member
Wasapi 44.1 you are not playing music anymore
« on: June 24, 2017, 11:35:44 pm »

Hopefully someone can help me, since I am still in my trial and this might determine if i purchase and stay on jriver.

Wanted to get off itunes, so jumped over here, the best!  Mostly what i use the software is i do a lot of work with some local sports team, play alot of music.

SO, i go out from laptop with windows 10 of course, to Radial USB PRO DI, then to whereever.  Problem is, for no rhyme or reason, that ugly thing shows up again shutting the show down.

What can i do?  I think i have tried adjusting every setting possible.  Heck, if i don't lose my library, i would get rid of windows 10 and go back to whatever.

Right now, it seems to get messed up with the DI?  Wasapi links up the radial di right away in menu, but from there, it seems to go haywire.

Love that DI though, so if i can't get this figured out, i might be forced to try and find a different media program that will work with it? 

Suggestions?  ideas?  Thank you!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Wasapi 44.1 you are not playing music anymore
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 07:23:24 am »

Here's a link to the product site:
http://www.radialeng.com/usbpro-specs.php

I'm not sure that error message is JRiver's.

Power for the device?

Try a different USB port.

Try plugging your laptop in to a power outlet.

Some devices don't switch formats very well.  You could try using MC's DSP Studio > Output Settings to force everything to 16/44.1 or 16/48, for example.

You could try Direct Sound.

uniman4

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 01:30:35 pm »

Thanks Jim, it is definitely JRiver's message, as others have gotten the same message.  I even read on some other post on here it was a "bug" in the realtek software?

The DI is powered thru the usb, no extra power is necessary.  I have tried all USB ports, that hasn't changed it.  Labtop is usually always plugged in.

Its weird tho, it works, then all of sudden doesn't when it switches to a new song.  Or last night i was working a game, and everything was working fine, but then play button wouldnt trigger MC to play a song, so after a minute realizing it wasn't going to work, i exited MC, logged back on, then yup, showed back up with that message.  Had to just ditch the DI, then worked fine. Play button working fine and got music going of course as well. 

I dunno, just odd, i will keep playing around, although i think i have tried every setting imaginable, not sure even at this point what triggers it back on, my 17 year old got it back working yesterday, doesn't even know how he did it.  lol

When i plug in DI, only option computer gives me in log into it thru Wasapi.  Which is great! If it actually worked reliably.

I am on a wal mart special HP laptop tho, that probably doesn't help, although i do get around 1400 for a score on here for connection.  Can't get ASIO on this thing at all either.

MC?  DI?  Crummy laptop?  Definitely feels like i am chasing my tail at this point.  Someway to get around this problem one would think? We will keep plugging away!  Thank you, and others please feel free to give any possible reasons/answers.

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2017, 02:26:39 pm »

This probably has nothing to do with it but...  Why are you calling this device a DI ?  DI usually means Direct Input or Direct Interface.  Also known as a Direct Box.  These are generally used to connect guitars or basses "directly" to the input on a mixer.

The device you are talking about is just an external DAC (sound card) correct?

If your DAC has lights on it, the next time it stops playing music, look at the lights.  See if it is still powered up and showing normal indicator lights.  If not, that would be a good clue to start with.

Good luck to you.

Brian.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2017, 03:31:43 pm »

I gave you some things to try.  What happens for each?

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2017, 03:57:58 pm »

Brian - The manufacturer calls it a DI.  It is meant to feed a mixer or active speakers as well as being a normal DAC.

http://www.radialeng.com/r2011/usbpro.php

blgentry

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2017, 04:00:55 pm »

^ Ah OK.  Well that's an easy explanation!  I thought maybe there was something unusual about this box, like it was some kind of hybrid device.  It's odd that the manufacturer calls it a DI, but that's certainly what it says on the page.

I should probably learn to read a little more carefully. 

Brian.

uniman4

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2017, 05:31:39 pm »

Yeah, sorry, its a bit hard explaining because it's kind of a weird problem.  That being said, I have found a simple fix!

Ok, what i have learned is for some reason, ANYTHING i change in MC, is usually followed by a quick sound, like when your tv is on to read an antenna but you just get snow.  So, change settings, eq, whatever, ANYTHING i try to change even when stopped, seems to do that, then for some reason it shuts me down, giving me a sign that i can't playback in whatever setting i am in, such as 96kbs 2 channels, or whatever.  That comes from MC.

So at least i diagnosed the problem, don't change ANYTHING or home MC freezes of anything, cause that is when it happens.

So then it was time to mess around with settings to find out how to fix after that happens, i tried EVERYTHING, nothing worked!

Well in the end, 1 thing DOES work, and it's pretty simple.  I just have to take the usb connection and unplug it from the computer, and plug it back in.  Believe that?

So yeah, I guess I still don't know what is so picky, and if its MC or a crappy laptop that is causing it.  So i guess I just don't do any changes once connected, which kind of stinks, and hope for no crashes and I'm fine.  If i have to, i know the easy solution to the problem.

I don't get it, but at least I know how to work around it I guess.  One thing i did do was change MC making it adaptable with XP instead of 10, but that didn't do any good.

uniman4

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2017, 05:36:04 pm »

Also, i do highly recommend that DI BOX  ;)

One of the venues i play has a pretty crummy system, and it makes a HUGE difference in sound quality.

I'm hearing audio that i never even knew existed before with this thing.  It's pretty darn amazing.  Not cheap but it gets great reviews for a reason!  Highly recommend for laptop/pa setups.

So Jim, i guess you actually has the correct answer, usb port!  Just not in exactly the context we were thinking.  lol

Also, i should mention i am using MC23, never went back and tried with 22, i tend to keep the past in the past.  Maybe something to do with 23?  Who knows. 

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2017, 07:12:27 pm »

I just have to take the usb connection and unplug it from the computer, and plug it back in.  Believe that?

Yes, I believe that. Plugging the USB connection back in triggers the laptop to power up the USB port.

From your posts above I suspect that your laptop is turning off power to the USB ports, a common thing for laptops to do to save battery power. Of course, they shouldn't do it when the USB port is in use, but maybe the laptop detects the loss of signal between tracks and turns off the power then, or maybe it is a crappy laptop.

The good news is that you should be able to find a setting either in Windows or the laptop BIOS to keep USB ports on all the time, or even just one USB port, that you will use for the Radial USB PRO DI DAC. In fact you may even be able to tell Windows not to turn off the DAC itself no matter which port it is connected to.

Windows > Device Manager > find your DAC in the listing > double click the DAC to open properties, or right click, Properties > Power Management tab > Make sure that "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" is not checked.

If that setting is greyed out and "Allow this device to wake the computer" is checked, uncheck the later (should be unchecked anyway for your use), and then uncheck the first setting.

See how you go with that.

If that doesn't work, then in Device Manager, select the the DAC, then on the menu at the top of Device Manager, select "View > Devices by connection". You should see a layout something like the attached image, where I am using my G700 USB mouse as an example USB device. Now check the power setting on each step in the chain (red arrows) from the USB Hub to your DAC, and make sure none of them can be turned off by the computer (setting at blue arrow).

If that doesn't work, check the Power Management settings in your laptop BIOS, and see if you can set it to always keep its USB ports turned on. You shouldn't need to go this far, but if the above didn't work, this is worth a try. I can't advise on what settings you will find in the BIOS, because they are all different. But there should be a Power Management or similarly named section that controls power usage by devices, like the USB Hub in the laptop.

Note that all of the above will use more battery power, from least to worst in order above. So it is good that the laptop will be on charge/power supply when you are using it.

If none of the above work you may want to contact the supplier and see if there is a setting for the DAC to always keep itself turned on. Some devices can tell Windows to do that. Because it really does sound like the DAC is being turned off, which stops playback.

Let us know how you go.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2017, 07:29:35 pm »

Thanks, RoderickGI.  Excellent advice.

uniman4

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2017, 11:35:47 pm »

Yes, thank you.  EXCELLENT support over here!  I will do that and let you know how it goes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up