INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't open MC anymore  (Read 2179 times)

pbpcn7

• Recent member
Can't open MC anymore
« on: June 29, 2017, 06:47:42 pm »

After keeping my computer on for a few days (during which time there may or may not have been a windows update), I shut it down last night (not sure whether MC 22 was open at the time, but not likely). After starting it up today, I was no longer able to open Media Center. I had version 22. I double click on the icon and receive the "Incomplete Shutdown Detected" window with three potential actions to take. I doesn't matter how I answer these questions, the outcome is the same - clicking "ok" leads to to an "information" window of steps to take if problems are experienced. Clicking ok on this window puts me back where I started - the program doesn't open. I tried reinstalling MC 22 a couple of times without success and then tried upgrading to MC23 - but still get the same windows and non-responsive program trying to start MC 23 (and now I've spent an additional $28). How do I fix this short of reinstalling Windows 10?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Can't open MC anymore
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 07:11:23 pm »

You may just be putting it to sleep.  Try a complete shutdown (power off).

pbpcn7

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 07:18:15 pm »

Nope. I've tried that.

pbpcn7

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2017, 08:35:51 pm »

BTW - I tried uninstalling my Anti Virus software (Norton Security Suite), and that did nothing to help, either.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2017, 09:30:05 pm »

For goodness sake do not reinstall Windows 10 for such a simple issue, even if it is hard to solve. Ever. With any software!

Open the Task Manager and find any Media Center or JRiver processes. Kill them. Restart MC23, or reinstall it again if it didn't complete properly last time.

Report results.

Also, check that you have backups of your library from MC22. You may need to restore one if the MC23 installation wasn't good. There shouldbe automatic backups in the "C:\Users\[User Name]\Documents\JRiver\Media Center 22\Library Backups" directory.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

pbpcn7

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2017, 09:44:20 am »

OK. I was able to restore by checking the box for a complete uninstall (including library files) in the dialog box that comes up when you go through the uninstall process. I was worried that this would also delete my backups, so I copied a few to a thumb drive just in case (which proved unnecessary). I suggest making the dialog box clearer that backups will not be deleted when checking the box and can be used to restore when the program is reinstalled. I would have thought that leaving this box unchecked would have cleared out any other registry items that caused the program to hang, but I guess not.

Thanks for the reply. I agree with you on reinstalling Windows, but it is amazing to me how many people on these blog sites recommend just that. I was just trying to cut off that kind of advice.

robt

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2017, 10:31:13 am »

Just a thought and I know that after a re install of windows, there are always things that you forgot would be gone. But these days with SSDs Windows takes about 3 minutes to install.

I know there are always drivers to be found but if you keep all your drivers ready to go then it really isn't a big deal any more.

Who can remember when all those DOS commands were required to load the drivers for your CD Rom drive?  :o  Now that was a faff!

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2017, 01:08:19 pm »

Who can remember when all those DOS commands were required to load the drivers for your CD Rom drive?  :o  Now that was a faff!

I do :o
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”
Pages: [1]   Go Up