INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: how to configure wireless  (Read 2943 times)

dls123

• Recent member
how to configure wireless
« on: June 29, 2017, 08:48:36 pm »

Hi
Just got my id.  Connected it to the tv for hdmi monitor and to a wireless keyboard.  It boots and if I keep it out of gui mode it will run until I get the menu.  If I select 13 for configure network I get nothing.   I tried disabling the LAN in the boot menu.  Same problem.  I have no ethernet port available anywhere near where I wish to use the id with the stereo.  How can I get it to find my wireless network?  Are there any clear instructions anywhere please?

I am quite computer literate, so I just need a set of instructions.

thanks,
Don

BradATIMA

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: how to configure wireless
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 08:16:54 am »

Can you connect the Id via ethernet so you can check for updates? If not, try to use the Network Manager with the Id in GUI mode.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 08:22:30 am »

I forget but I don't think it was that difficult.

From the Id control menu, enter 13 - Network Manager (see pic). From there, select the WiFi network you desire, nominate the relevant password / key via Properties and select the check box for automatic connection.

I'm pretty sure that's all I did and the network connection is re-established routinely without drama on a reboot. I can access the unit via Panel and VNC just fine. For Gizmo, I need to nominate the <IP Address>:<Port No>. For some reason the access key doesn't appear to work over WiFi (in my case).

Note that I'm using a USB Id on a non-Intel device. Even so, as long as you've got a unit with functional WiFi, I'd expect you to have the same setup experience that I've had.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

dls123

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 08:41:21 am »

Thanks, but when I hit 13 it just goes back to the prompt.  No menu.  If I enable GUI then the Id hangs after trying to find a network connection for a minute, then responds with something about rebooting and reboots.  I have tried with and without GUI enabled, with and without LAN enabled in the boot menu.  I am kind of stuck in a loop.  I never see the wifi menu and the very cryptic Id instructions say that you have to disable LAN to use wifi, but that doesn't seem to work.

Clearly I am doing something wrong!

BradATIMA

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2017, 10:04:12 am »

Can you set the Id up where you can connect it via Ethernet temporarily? If you can, see if it will boot in GUI mode, and if so, try checking for updates (option 12), and then try configuring the network settings.

dls123

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2017, 10:52:14 am »

well.. not easily because the only monitor I have on hand is the TV downstairs and the router is upstairs.  So I was setting the Id up by the tv and then will move it upstairs by my stereo.  Maybe I can borrow an old monitor and then I can set it up by the router

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2017, 10:54:48 am »

A long network cable is handy for this kind of problem.  I drag one out once or twice a year.

dls123

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2017, 11:05:26 am »

Not long enough to get to the basement:)

dls123

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2017, 11:55:02 am »

got it to work, but now cannot get it to find my external usb drive in any port

BradATIMA

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2017, 01:11:35 pm »

Check the External Media Menu (option 20). There is a section that says 'USB Drives' and after that it will say the status. If it says "Currently Not Enabled" you need to enable them with option 1 or 2. After that, you need to reboot the Id for the change to take effect.

dls123

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2017, 01:31:28 pm »

Hi
I did that and made it read/write.  It now says that is the status, but I need to add the drive and have no idea what it is called..?

Or is it automatic?   It is not showing up anywhere

BradATIMA

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2017, 01:36:32 pm »

You don't need to add it. The add option below the USB section is for network drives only. It should be automatic. I also posted something in your other topic about checking the BIOS settings.
Pages: [1]   Go Up