INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MoodLogic/Genres  (Read 2014 times)

Sam

• Galactic Citizen
MoodLogic/Genres
« on: July 02, 2003, 07:54:00 am »

Has anyone tried MoodLogic?  I came across it when I saw the link from iPodLounge.  It generates playlists based on "mood".

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: MoodLogic
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2003, 07:58:48 am »

yes, for what it does it costs too much money.

but it works good
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

drosoph

• MC Beta Team
  • TiVo-aholic
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2003, 09:57:00 am »

Yeah, I beta'd that since day one .. it was "cute" and worked fairly well ... but I find that I can use the tags in MC much better (AND you can just create playlists on on keyword lists ... creating MOODs, etc) ... MC also accepts all of the MMJB tags (Tempo, Mood, Situation, something else)

bjsolem

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2003, 10:40:45 am »

Unfortunately I paid for MoodLogic right before I started using Media Center.   :(

I have since organized my entire library in MC and find little reason to use moodlogic for much of anything.  Smarlists in MC work just as well without all the complexity of moodlogic.  It just ends up being an extra step with no real benefit.

I wish I hadn't paid for it.

That's my 2 cents.

Sam

• Galactic Citizen
Re: MoodLogic/Genres
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2003, 06:37:27 am »

I played around with MoodLogic yesterday.  I was pretty happy to see it automatically fix my genres, reducing them to about 20.  Then I realized that it wouldn't let me save the new info without paying them.  I guess that's reasonable...

Is there an automated way in MC9.1 of assigning genres based on artist?  I'm afraid to use YADB because it might create more problems.  (It renamed Billy Joel's "River of Dreams" to "In the Middle of the Night".  Wrong.)  Can I restrict YADB to just the genre field?

And I don't want to do it manually one artist at a time.  Since I don't know the difference between rock, pop, and alternative, I'd have to look up each artist.

zevele10

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2003, 08:29:20 am »

At this price ,to me it is a rip off.

For half you can buy MusicMatch and use the EXCELLENT SuperTags fonction.

Do not bother to anything else in MM ,just SuperTag

Sam

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2003, 10:24:29 am »

Thanks.  Great endorsement.  I actually have MM since it came with my iPod, but I uninstalled it once I got my iPod set up.  I didn't know about SuperTag.  I'll reinstall it once I find that CD.  I'm getting excited already. :)

zevele10

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2003, 10:30:53 am »

Before you get to much excited :

SuperTags is a plus feature ONLY.
If you have a plus version ,you are a soonto be  happy men.

If you have only the free version ,give it a try.
SuperTags works ,but you cannot update the tags.
But you can see the results and judge if worth the $$$$

Sam

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2003, 12:01:07 pm »

I have Plus, thanks to iPod.
SuperTags works, but it's SLOW!  And MusicMatch crashed three times.  (It reminded me of why I came to MJ/MC.)  SuperTags and MoodLogic are similar, except that ML checks only artist/title/genre - which is all I really need.  I also like ML's Instant Mix.  You pick a song, and it builds a playlist of similar songs.  But ML's Mood Playlist feature is weak.

I haven't decided yet to buy ML.  But I'm very tempted...

zevele10

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2003, 12:37:40 pm »

Look as things are strange..
I use A LOT MM . Only for SuperTag and it never crash.

You must have MM7 ,where supertag is slower than MM8.

But it works better if you do not upload a great number of songs.

I do album by album  most of the time.
Because if you upload to much ,you get lost.

Now , think about it

Music Match results are exact at 99%

MoodLogic:
If you do not want to pay ,you have to upload songs and you get use of the program for X song  every song you upload.

Now ,let me upload songs in MoodLogic:

Edrt   Hyuiy  kiuytr

I did it to see  , and i got X songs free to check

You may have to use MM to fix mess from Moodlogic.......

Sam

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2003, 02:27:32 pm »

I think the problem with MM is the volume.  I have a large library, and I've been trying to tag hundreds of songs at a time.  Meanwhile, MoodLogic is already done with most of my library.  I just have to pay.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2003, 05:00:21 am »

Is there an automated way in MC9.1 of assigning genres based on artist?

I have been thinking of this as a plugin option.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

iCamp

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2003, 03:49:49 pm »

King,

That would be a fantastic plug-in.  Genre tagging is probably the hardest to keep under control.

I'd also like to see a plug-in that takes into consideration the "genre", "BPM", " and "intensity" in an attempt to automatically determine the "mood" of a song.  For example, if a track is in the Hard Rock genre because it's from a traditionally hard sounding band but has a low BPM and lower intensity it would get a lower "mood" rating (thus, allowing the user to play the song in slower themed playlists).

I know smart playlists can be created to approach this but a plug-in that accomplishes it automatically would be sweet.

lOth

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2003, 06:01:00 pm »

Genre tagging is probably the hardest to keep under control.

'Date' is pretty hard too. I've given up on getting the dates right. Would be great if a plug-in could get both genre and date!

loraan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2003, 11:03:09 pm »

I agree that Genre and Date are two of the hardest tags to get right. A distant third is Cover Art, although I have been surprised recently at some of the more obscure albums that MC has found cover art for.

Regarding Date, I have found that MC's "Playing Now" feature is a great way to fill in an album's release date. In case you haven't tried it, clicking on "Playing Now" takes you to an Internet music database that has biographies and discographies of many bands. It's also a handy way of getting cover art without the hassle of scanning (you can cut-and-paste from their web site to MC). Another way to fill the date is to do a web search for "<song name> <artist name> discography".

Regarding Genre--I find Genre to be too limiting in most cases. I divide my library into two categories: "Genre Music" and "Regular Music". Genre Music is music that is primarily defined by its genre and which I usually listen to at certain occasions, but not when I'm in the mood to just "listen to music"--e.g. Ambient/Background Sounds; Capoeira songs; Electronic Beat/Trance; Funk; Electric Guitar Rock (e.g. Joe Satriani). "Regular Music" is nearly everything else. Stuff that I listen to when I'm just listening to songs. I used to try to sub-divide my music into genres like "Alternative", "Punk", "Pop", etc... but I found that these genres weren't descriptive enough, and when I tried to get really descriptive, then it was so much work that it wasn't worth it. Like, for example, is Third Eye Blind, "Punk"? The ever-generic, "Rock"? "Alternative"? Who knows? What about Green Day? They're typically considered Punk, but should they really be in the same genre as the Sex Pistols? Argh.

Now, what I do is I use the Custom 1 field for my genre-like smartlists. I have smartlists like "Dark", "Happy", "Soft", "Pop Singles", etc... The rules for these smartlists are:

[custom 1]="dark"
[custom 1]="happy"

Etc...

Then I put the relevant keyword in Custom 1 for each track. The nice thing about this method is that it lets me put each track in multiple categories--e.g. by putting "dark soft" in Custom 1, the track will match both of those smartlists.

I also use this to create decade-based lists (e.g. "2000's", "1990's", etc...). I create a list of songs by decade, but I can be selective and not play every song in my library from that decade, as I would with a Year-based smartlist. For these playlists, I try to focus on songs that would have been on the radio in that decade.

zevele10

« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2003, 09:48:28 am »

What about Green Day? They're typically considered Punk, but should they really be in the same genre as the Sex Pistols? Argh
-=-=-
You can use Clean Punk or MTV Punk- not really a compliment for me... even if i do like some Green Day albums
Pages: [1]   Go Up