INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver Media Center 23.0.14 for Debian AMD64 Beta  (Read 2801 times)

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
JRiver Media Center 23.0.14 for Debian AMD64 Beta
« on: June 30, 2017, 03:45:02 pm »

This is the latest BETA version of MC23 for Linux.  Please post bugs here.  Please start a new thread for anything requiring discussion.  Non-bug posts will be deleted.

Download:
amd64  http://files.jriver.com/mediacenter/test/MediaCenter-23.0.14-amd64.deb

Also in the BETA repo.

23.0.14 (6/29/2017)

1. NEW: Added the ability to specify the monitor in the Options for Full Screen Mode. Needs testing on various desktops/window managers.

23.0.10 (6/22/2017)

1. NEW: First builds of MC23 for Linux.
2. Changed: Re-Write linux internet reader to streamline seeking on reading of files. This is a big change and will make a difference in the behavior of MC when playing files over the network and when used as DLNA renderer, especially on slow devices. Report regressions please.
3. NEW: The "Radio" feature, SSL support and others from the main build tree.

Rizlaw

• Galactic Citizen
Re: JRiver Media Center 23.0.14 for Debian AMD64 Beta
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2017, 10:12:18 am »

Bob,

I feel this setting should be in the "Options > Video" area, not "Tree & View". I couldn't find it for awhile because I was looking in the wrong place.

Here is what I expected: MC 23.0.14 set up to open and run on monitor 2 (NEC 24x12) at all times. From monitor 2 you select "Video" and click on a movie to play. The movie starts playing on monitor 1 (main monitor - Acer Predator 34x14) AND MC 23 continues to be visible on monitor 2 for control purposes. Please consider adding a setting to force MC23 to open on monitor 1 or 2. It seems to  insist on opening on main monitor 1 all the time and I have to drag it over to monitor 2 and resize the window.

Here is what happens to me twice (Ubuntu 17.04 Gnome Desktop):

With MC 23.0.14 running on monitor 2, selecting a movie causes the MC23 program on monitor 2 to disappear (the only thing visible on monitor 2 is the desktop background) and the movie begins to play on monitor 1.

If you "stop" the movie, MC 23 reappears on monitor 1 when it had been on monitor 2, albeit, invisible. (I don't think that's supposed to happen). Also, if I click on the "X" which appears in the upper right when you move the mouse to the top edge of the monitor 1 screen, the movie playing on monitor 1 jumps back to monitor 2 and continues playing. If  you then stop and start the movie, expecting it to go back to monitor 1, it doesn't, it continues to play on monitor 2. I also experienced stopping the movie on monitor 1 and simply having MC23 reappear on monitor 1 with no evidence that the movie was playing.

If I exit and restart MC, it seems to reset itself and initially plays the movie on monitor 1 like before.

A few hours since the above tests, I rebooted to Ubuntu 17.04 Unity desktop. It's worse. I can't get the movie to play on monitor 2 at all. It will only play on monitor 1 even though I have set monitor 2 as the default for movies and run MC23 from monitor 1.

By the way, I previously reported "tearing" issues during movie playback which you couldn't duplicate. It seems they only exist on monitor 1 (Acer Predator 3440x1440 using DP input on Nvidia GTX1080) and NOT on monitor 2 (NEC 2490Wuxi  24x12 using HDMI input off same GTX1080).
Ubuntu Gnome 20.04 LTS

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2017, 04:08:43 am »

I feel this setting should be in the "Options > Video" area, not "Tree & View". I couldn't find it for awhile because I was looking in the wrong place.

The option has been there for ever on Windows, it was just not enabled on Linux - so its not like its a "new" option as such, and therefor unlikely to move.
The important part is that those options apply to more then just video playback - any fullscreen activity should be affected by them (video playback, image playback, theater view, ...), so it should be in a central place, and thats the "View" menu.

We do have a search in the options, and searching for "full screen" should've found it.

If you want MC to remain active during full screen playback, you need to detach the display. I am not sure if we support this on Linux yet, though. Without a detached display, MC hiding when going full screen on another monitor is intended.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Rizlaw

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2017, 07:33:18 am »

If you want MC to remain active during full screen playback, you need to detach the display. I am not sure if we support this on Linux yet, though. Without a detached display, MC hiding when going full screen on another monitor is intended.

You're right. "detach" doesn't work in Linux at present.
Ubuntu Gnome 20.04 LTS

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2017, 06:51:40 pm »

So far the feature seems to be working as expected in Gnome on Arch, even with theater view which is very handy (although that will be even cooler when detaching the display is possible).

Also, the streaming of video from the server seems to result in smoother playback than it used to.  In MC22 I had intermittent, but serious issues with poor buffering and dropped frames on systems relying on the server to stream video to them, where direct network access to the files worked perfectly on the same systems.  It seems much smoother now, and I'm optimistic  ;D

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 08:58:10 am »

I'm planning on implementing the detach code after some other issues are addressed.
This currently only works on Windows because it uses proprietary windows code to change the window type on the fly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up