INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Id sound quality  (Read 3808 times)

dls123

• Recent member
Id sound quality
« on: July 01, 2017, 02:56:23 pm »

OK, I finally got the Id running and all my files and playlists loaded from my old windows laptop version of MC. 

I have the Id running driving a Schiit Gungnir USB DAC (modded with the new multibit upgrade) and then into my custom tube gear.  I build custom tube amps and preamps for a living so I have various test playlists I use over and over to evaluate subtle changes in gear I build.   The old windows laptop drove the Gungnir via usb2 output and MC using the WASAPI drivers provided by Schitt, which will completely bypass windows.   I have all volume controls disabled in MC on both the lunix Id version and the windows version.

I really hate to say it, but the Id using USB to the Gungnir sounds thinner and brighter than the old windows machine doing the same thing.  I have gone with the USB default choices on the Id.  Anyone have any suggestions?  Any settings to change? The Id will play files of various resolutions to the DAC with no problems, but the sound quality is just a notch below that of the old machine.  Unless I can tweak the settings somehow I consider returning the Id.  It is cute and nice, but definitely not as good at providing USB out to my DAC as the old windows laptop.  Aaarrrggg.... 

Any tweaking advice from anyone out there?

thanks in advance,
Don

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: id sound quality
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2017, 04:44:18 pm »

Tools > Options > Audio > Audio Device

You probably have 3 or 4 different selections for the Gungnir there.  Try to select one that says HW or something similar.  If it has text that says something like "bypasses system volume", you should probably choose that one.

I'm jealous of your Schiit man!  If you feel so inclined, feel free to post a mini review or just a general opinion on the multi-bit upgrade.  I've been considering a Modi Multibit or perhaps a Bifrost Multibit.

Good luck with your Schiit.  ...and your Id  :)

Brian.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
Re: Id sound quality
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2017, 05:56:05 pm »

Have you checked out the install guide on the Wiki?

Most of your issues look like they're covered there (albeit briefly):
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Id_Install_Guide

From there, go to Audio and you'll be directed here:
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Id_Audio_Devices

EDIT: For info, my S/PDIF Optical connection shows up as:
iec958:CARD=PCH,DEV=0 [ALSA]
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

dls123

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2017, 07:54:02 pm »

Have you checked out the install guide on the Wiki?

Most of your issues look like they're covered there (albeit briefly):
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Id_Install_Guide

From there, go to Audio and you'll be directed here:
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Id_Audio_Devices

Yes, I read all of that before buying the Id.  Unfortunately it doesn't quite work the way it is described.  However, it does communicate well with the network and finally read the usb drive.  I am down to playing with various settings for the DAC.  It is still a bit bright sounding and sibilant.  Not a ton, just a wee bit.  I build tube amps for a living and have a very revealing system that is all tube after the DAC.  I listen for subtle changes all the time.  I cannot hear any significant difference between your two dithering options, and to some extent no dithering sounds the best, even if it shouldn't..

dls123

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2017, 08:05:41 pm »

Tools > Options > Audio > Audio Device

You probably have 3 or 4 different selections for the Gungnir there.  Try to select one that says HW or something similar.  If it has text that says something like "bypasses system volume", you should probably choose that one.

I'm jealous of your Schiit man!  If you feel so inclined, feel free to post a mini review or just a general opinion on the multi-bit upgrade.  I've been considering a Modi Multibit or perhaps a Bifrost Multibit.

Good luck with your Schiit.  ...and your Id  :)

Brian.

Hi Brian,
OK, I found another one that had HW and direct with no conversions and THAT sounds better!   Now the brightness is tamed quite a bit.

I can finally unplug the monitor and keyboard from the Id and just control it with the tablet, phone, or my main laptop, which is why I bought it!

The Gungnir was really good for the three years I had it.  Sending it back just made it better, but you have to give it 50-100 hours.  Yes, I really don't think there is a better $1250 DAC in the world with this good a USB connection to boot.
It really does sound like a good record without the pops and clicks and other surface noise.

Thanks for the driver tip.  I was using one that said HW, but this one has says direct hardware device without any conversions.  I swear it wasn't there when I first attached the DAC.  It is like MC decided to add more options later:)  NOW it sounds like I expected it to.  I really don't understand why someone would want to spend a fortune for some dedicated server.  This setup does the same thing for under $400 and under $500 if you include the big external drive.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2017, 12:55:14 am »

Thanks for the driver tip.  I was using one that said HW, but this one has says direct hardware device without any conversions.  I swear it wasn't there when I first attached the DAC.  It is like MC decided to add more options later:)  NOW it sounds like I expected it to.  I really don't understand why someone would want to spend a fortune for some dedicated server.  This setup does the same thing for under $400 and under $500 if you include the big external drive.

Well done for persisting. The experience you're sharing is the testimonial that Jim wants to read, I'd reckon.

MC's strength of providing user flexibility sometimes means a lot of options and the right one can take some tweaking. It's good to read a story where a new use/user feels that they're getting value in the end.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

dls123

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2017, 02:01:29 am »

Oh, I stick with things.   I have been using computers since you dialed up the mainframe and put the telephone into the modem in the teletype machine.  Linux is just unix.  I would have gone into the linux documentation and figured out something if I needed to.  It is actually a pretty slick implementation.  What needs to happen is to build some sort of tool to help you move a library backup from windows or mac to the linux implementation on the Id.  It sort of works, but not quite.  In my situation it was just easier to let MC rebuild the library from the files on the external drive and then figure out how to port all of the playlists successfully. It was only when I opened the playlist files in an editor that I could see what was going on and then some simple search and replacements and I was done.  I also had to figure out exactly what the external drive was named on the linux system so I knew what MC was looking for.  One thing that should be added to the id main menu is a graphic based file manager tool.  I can certainly see that someone might want to copy files from an external drive or memory stick to the internal drive on the Id and then let MC find them from there. Or I may put all the music on the Id internal drive and use the external as a backup so it would be nice to be able to easily copy files between drives outside of MC.  So some sort of file manager outside of MC off the main menu would be very useful.  Just a suggestion.  Also, maybe build a library of data on major USB DACs with suggestions about what drivers to use in MC with the id. The documentation for the Id is a bit sparse ;) 

Once it is running with the right drivers it sounds great, and I have no trouble at all controlling it from either another copy of MC on my main windows laptop, or my android tablet or phone.  It just took me a day and a half of fooling around to get my music library onto the Id with all the playlists, and to get the driver right for the Gungnir.
Pages: [1]   Go Up