INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Id review  (Read 3043 times)

dls123

• Recent member
Id review
« on: July 02, 2017, 10:54:10 am »

Final review post!

OK, I apologize to anyone who read that I thought the Id didn't sound good.  It was a process to get the right driver for the Gungnir multi-bit, but I finally did.  So how does it sound?

I build custom tube amps and preamps so my system is pretty good.  System is: Id > gungir multibit > my commercial version of the tubes4hifi sp14 line stage (very hot rodded 6sn7 based line stage with Akido buffer) > my custom kt88 amp with independent regulated high voltage supplies for each channel and full auto biasing > Audio Nirvana 15 inch Alnico classic drivers in 5.6 cu ft. cabinets.   The Id drives the Gungir with a USB connection, not optical.  I may pick up a cheap optical cable just to hear the difference.

The system is quite revealing and has tons of headroom with 65 watts/ ch of tube power on a 95-96 dB speaker.  It is very detailed, but not the least bit bright.  The Id presents a blacker background than an old windows laptop running MC for windows.  It is more revealing of fine detail.  The price is that it is just slightly brighter than the old laptop.  The brightness is subtle and the detail and blacker background are addicting.   Part of the difference may also be the windows version is using a Schiit-supplied USB WASAPI driver to link MC and the DAC, and the linux version on the Id uses some other driver.  Both drivers basically just send the data from the drive to the DAC with no digital volume control and no adjustments of any kind, bypassing the OS as far as I know.   The Gungnir multi-bit upgrade is well worth it to my ears.  I ran that Gungnir for 3+ years and loved it, but the upgrade is well worth the money. 

So my take on the Id is that it is not quite turn-key (darn close), you need to fiddle a bit if you are trying to port an existing MC library to it.  I need it to be the music server of the system.  It sits by the stereo and connects to everything via my wireless network.  I am not playing music from network drives although it does see them nicely.  The music resides on a big external drive that is attached to the Id.  I control the Id with my android tablet, my android phone, or my windows laptop.  All work seamlessly.  Once you get the copy of MC set up on the Id and the proper drivers for your DAC installed it sounds fantastic.  Black background, dead quiet, wonderful dynamics.  The slap of fingers on bass strings are amazing.   It just works.  So for $300-$500 (including an external drive) you get a music server that you have complete control of, with software updates that cost what… $19 every year or two?  MC is a great program I have used for years.  You can wander around with any number of hand held devices and control your music via your wireless network.  It is not a closed system with ridiculous digital rights management BS.  You can make all of your playlists, etc… AND it will play basically any file of any resolution that your DAC can handle AND MC is like a big Swiss army knife, it can convert all your high resolution formats into lower res copies for your phone or car.  You just have to roll up your sleeves a bit and figure it all out, but once you are there you have complete control of your music for peanuts… what’s not to like?!!!

Happy listening,
Don

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Id review
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 11:49:50 am »

That was fun to read.  I had never heard of the Audio Nirvana drivers before your post.  Single driver speakers definitely have their appeal.  Crossovers are hard to design correctly so the best crossover is no crossover!

I've never heard a single CONE driver setup that was really full range.  Mostly small speakers with really small drivers that *can* sound really nice in the midrange, but have very little bass.  I've heard several planar speakers with single drivers that were pretty amazing.  But that's that planar "magic" for you.  :)

Glad to hear that JRiver and the Id are producing some high end sound for you.

Brian.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 04:50:57 pm »

Nicely done. Enjoyed the read.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

dls123

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2017, 07:50:56 pm »

That was fun to read.  I had never heard of the Audio Nirvana drivers before your post.  Single driver speakers definitely have their appeal.  Crossovers are hard to design correctly so the best crossover is no crossover!

I've never heard a single CONE driver setup that was really full range.  Mostly small speakers with really small drivers that *can* sound really nice in the midrange, but have very little bass.  I've heard several planar speakers with single drivers that were pretty amazing.  But that's that planar "magic" for you.  :)

Glad to hear that JRiver and the Id are producing some high end sound for you.

Brian.

I had never heard full range drivers I liked either, but these are pretty darn flat from 35-40 Hz up to near 15K.  I cannot hear above 13K I am sure.  Triangles hang in the air, cymbals and brush strokes sound natural and real.... so they go high enough for me.  They are pretty astonishing and I have owned some very nice conventional speakers and horns before.....

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2017, 07:47:00 am »

^ They make some pretty outrageous claims on their web site.  "Best speaker in the world".  They compare them with $50,000+ speakers (like the Wilson Grand Slamm) and say the Audio Nirvanas are "more natural and real".  Those are some bold claims!

I'd love to hear a pair some time.  It's very intriguing.

Brian.

dls123

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2017, 09:41:12 am »

^ They make some pretty outrageous claims on their web site.  "Best speaker in the world".  They compare them with $50,000+ speakers (like the Wilson Grand Slamm) and say the Audio Nirvanas are "more natural and real".  Those are some bold claims!

I'd love to hear a pair some time.  It's very intriguing.

Brian.

Hi
Yes, David is quite the salesman.  I happened to be in St Louis visiting my Dad and David is only 20 mins away so I went to hear a pair at his house and was very impressed.  So I had a pair built.  Like any speaker, they have tradeoffs.  I had a pair of Joseph Audio RM25si2 and then traded them for a pair of the RM25XL speakers. I had the JA speakers for maybe 11-12 years and they were fantastic.  However, they didn't quite have the detail of these 15 inch alnico classic full rangers.  It is hard to describe.  The coherence of the full range speaker, but these actually have plenty of bass as they will flap your pants leg when you turn it up.  As I said earlier, the highs are just fine.  I can discern lyrics that I could never quite catch before.  The downside is that they are bright for the first 100-200 hours until the surrounds completely break in.  Also, they are beamy.  The sweet spot is 2 people wide on the couch with the speakers forming the usual triangle pointed a few feet behind your head.  The JA speakers would image so well that you could wander around the room off axis and still get a good stereo image.  The Audio Nirvana speakers throw the most amazing image I have yet to hear.  The depth is incredible to go along with the usual floor to ceiling soundstage that is 3-4 ft. wider than the speakers.  The AN speakers are not perfect, but they just have this incredible detail and musicality I have never heard.  I guess no matter how good the crossover is...the fact that there is one just masks a certain clarity, and the tradeoffs are worth it.  If you use good copper cabling it tames the brightness of the AN driver as well.  You wouldn't want a lot of silver wire in the system with these things!  When you get it dialed in it is fantastic though.  Of course you want all tubes......
Pages: [1]   Go Up