INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Youtube improvements?  (Read 4848 times)

justsomeguy

• Citizen of the Universe
Youtube improvements?
« on: July 02, 2017, 05:13:35 pm »

Are there any plans to improve MC's youtube implementation in 23? I do a lot of youtube watching, have lots of subscriptions and playlists. In MC you can't access any of this.  Sounds like there was the plan to possibly add improvements to youtube due to the addition in the past of connecting MC to our youtube account but nothing much has appeared to changed since then.

justsomeguy

Re: Youtube improvments?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 03:40:36 pm »

Just curious.
I currently have to setup theater view with an entry that launches a 3rd party app I can use for youtube.

jachin99

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 07:25:51 am »

I'm curious about this also because youtube does live TV, and that could be one way JRiver implements something for customers who have DRM flags on all of their channels.  It would also get around all of the complications of setting up a cable card, and reduce the cost of live TV because there isn't a requirement for any tuners. 

jachin99

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 07:31:44 am »

One more idea is to try youtube leanback.  It would work outside of JRiver but it runs chrome fullscreen in basically kiosk mode, and works with a 10ft UI remote

justsomeguy

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2017, 06:26:33 pm »

I just tried leanback in the browser and it seems to work fairly well. You can add a webpage to theater view. I added leanback as an option in theater vew but there doesn't appear to be a way to make it full screen it only appears to play in a window. I also couldn't find a way of exiting the leanback site in theater view without using the mouse.

I may try and use theater view to launch an external browser that I may be able to start in fullscreen. Then need to figure how to assign a button on a remote to the exit the external browser and return to theater view.

Currently I'm using KODI with it's youtube plugin that I can launch from MC. It has it's issues as well but provides more functionality. I then exit kodi and return to MC all with a remote. It's a little clunky but mostly works. Would be nice to have a proper implementation inside MC. From the deafening silence it doesn't sound like that will likely happen.

jachin99

Re: Youtube improvements?
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2017, 08:22:51 pm »

Yeah, I wouldn't try to do too much in MC's browser, just run it in a separate browser, and it should be fine.  There are scripts out there, (I believe ahk scripts) that will refocus one window when the next closes.  I use this kind of think in windows media center all of the time with a program called relaunch.  Look up the GitHub page for it, and it has a link that explains exactly how it works.  A large part of it won't apply to MC but the window focusing thing might come in handy if you can pick that part out of it. 

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2017, 08:26:33 pm »

I've said before I'd like to see the YouTube.com/tv UI integrated straight into theatre view. IMO YT have done a great job on it and it would mean JR don't have to maintain the page should YT change their APIs (or make them closed a la Netflix).

justsomeguy

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2017, 01:25:12 am »

I can understand JR's hesitation putting too much time into it if YT were to up and change the API or lock it down like you say.

I think the YT web ui integration is a good idea as messing around with it for a while I agree they did a good job. I can possibly see google getting upset with JR including it as a feature in there paid product with no compensation to google though. However if JR were to just improve their built-in browser functionality, specifically in theater view, then the end user could always just add the youtube.com/tv url themselves and JR wouldn't have to worry about making google mad.

justsomeguy

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2017, 06:37:38 pm »

Based on the suggestions about YouTube TV site I wrote a small script that allows launching that site from theaterview then returning to MC after it closes.

I posted about it here https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,111519.0.html

justsomeguy

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2017, 06:42:45 pm »

Just thought I'd post back here that Don W has created another program that does everything my script did but I believe does it a little better and has more functionality.

Find it here:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,111645.0.html
Pages: [1]   Go Up