INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Album Artist and Album Artist(auto)  (Read 3764 times)

stanzani

• Galactic Citizen
  • Music and Audio enthusiast
Album Artist and Album Artist(auto)
« on: July 06, 2017, 07:47:52 am »

What the difference is? What they are used for?
Stereo:
DAW: Fanless Case Streatcon 7 with MSI A97I mobo, 2 x 8G RAM (Hynix) with Intel I5 CPU.
NAS: QNAP TS-531 with 5x4TB HDDs
DAC/ADC: RME ADI2 PRO
Speakers (active): 2 x ATC SCM50ASL
Subs (active): 2 x REL 528 Signature

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

blgentry

Re: Album Artist and Album Artist(auto)
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 08:11:42 am »

If it's not obvious from the article, let me point out something:

This is a three variable system that works like this:

If [Album Artist] has a value, that value is copied to [Album Artist (auto)] .  If not, the value of [Artist] is copied to [Album Artist (auto)] .  That's why it's called "auto" because it's automatically filled from the other fields, with [Album Artist] taking priority.

This is a rather brilliant technique that can also be used when defining your own fields in MC.

Brian.

stanzani

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2017, 09:49:23 am »

blgentry made the kind of explanation i like. Wiki was not so clear (to me).

For classical music I fill album artist with the performer, while artist is the composer (which is same as 'composer' filed')

do you recommend anything else? Or a script copying Composer -> Artist is a better choice?
Stereo:
DAW: Fanless Case Streatcon 7 with MSI A97I mobo, 2 x 8G RAM (Hynix) with Intel I5 CPU.

MikeO

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2017, 10:28:50 am »

There a couple of pitfalls ...

If you have several Artist on an album , they will split out as separate albums . The way around is to make Album Artist Various artists. This plays havoc with Album Artist Auto

Not being rude (honest  ;D) but putting the composer in Artist makes zero sense there is a composer tag for , it (you can use Move or Copy to change that) then you can use Artist for its real use.

A custom tag Soloist (semi colon delimited list) makes sense too.

I learned early on that custom tags are not to be scared of, I use custom tags to set up Box Sets and the included Disc Names

Classical tagging is a minefield and there few standards.

Hope this helps

Mike

stanzani

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2017, 10:44:17 am »

Not being rude (honest  ;D) but putting the composer in Artist makes zero sense there is a composer tag for , it (you can use Move or Copy to change that) then you can use Artist for its real use.
Rudeness is OK, as far as it is constructive :) ... so my next question is: waht is artist for incase of classical music?
Igot also MusiCHI tagger: is there a way for it to be compatible with JRiver? Buss around says it is great for classical music
Stereo:

MikeO

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2017, 10:59:16 am »

Hi

I use Artist simply as that .E.g. piano sonatas The pianist would be Artist. In a symphony I put Conductor  as Artist and Conductor In a concerto I put pianist as Artist, conductor in Conductor etc chamber music can often be a semi colon delimited list of individual artists

I too use musichi . If you add a custom tag Composition into mc the tag created and populated in musichi imports into mc . Just as long as names match. If you change tags in musichi once you have finished run a manual import on mc and it will detect the changes as changes to a file and import it. This will normally happen automatically while you are working in musichi anyway

Beware of you let musichi do Album Artist for you it will flag up Album Artist Auto later

I suspect I have played in the mine field too often  :)

Mike

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2017, 01:40:04 am »

Rudeness is OK, as far as it is constructive :) ... so my next question is: waht is artist for incase of classical music?
Igot also MusiCHI tagger: is there a way for it to be compatible with JRiver? Buss around says it is great for classical music

You get to make your own choices for where to put Composer, Performer and Work Name.

Classical music wasn't important to the people who defined the MP3 tagging system or the online tag databases.  Our needs just don't fit well into that framework.  JRiver allows you to populate tags and define views that fit classical music much better.  Here's what I choose to do

Composer Tag contains the actual composer (For example, Haydn or Mozart or Bach,JS)

Work Name Tag contains the name of the composition (For example, Symphony No. 9 "Great")
I put the same information in the Album Tag.

Artist tag contains the performers name ( For example, Brendel or Szell_Cleveland Orchestra or Fleisher_Szell_Cleveland Orchestra)
Note that I combine the soloist and composer and orchestra into one value in the Artist tag.

Version tag contains something to distinguish different recordings that have the same Composer, Work Name and Artist values.  Some recordings have been re-mastered and re-issued several times.  In other cases, I have a stereo recording and a mono one of an earlier recording.

I answered your questions in another thread as well.

Using Artist and Album Artist for different information about classical recordings is a really bad idea.  Several people have told you that.  Believe us.

stricko

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2017, 02:29:39 am »

i prefer using the existing tags as intended / named, as most people seem to be saying. i then have different views for classical, based on genre (or you could have a custom tag). You could always get really clever and use an expression that selects based on genre (eg composer for classical, album artist for everything else, but it would be too jumbled for me. There's no single answer. My ideas are always based on using theater view >95% of the time, but others will be different. The joys of flexibility :-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up