INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows file properties: no 'Artist' tag  (Read 1466 times)

shAf

• Citizen of the Universe
Windows file properties: no 'Artist' tag
« on: July 09, 2017, 11:27:17 am »

Consider a historical album like Neil Young's 'Decade' for which the 'Album Artist' should be Neil Young, but for each track the 'Artist' should be more appropriately (e.g.) 'Buffalo Springfield'.  I hate it when I copy the tracks to a device for which the player pays no attention to the tag 'Album Artist' and makes it difficult to play the album in its entireity.

I thought... I'll copy the files, but with Windows file explorer, I'll change the properties, 'Artist' to Neil Young for all tracks, and this slight modification would be independent of MC's library.  However, to my surprise Windows shows 'Album Artist' but doesn't show 'Artist'.  I thought this was kinda weird, but thought this may only be trues for AAC encoded tracks (m4a), but then found for MP3's even fewer tags are shown, also excluding 'Artist'...

I also noticed that Windows shows a tag called 'Contributing Artists", which MC does not(?)

Windows 7
cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Windows file properties: no 'Artist' tag
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 01:46:29 pm »

I don't seem to be able to reproduce this.

I put a file in a directory and removed the tag with MC.  Then the details showed totally empty with Explorer.

Then I tagged the artist and let MC write the tag.

Then the field "Contributing artists" in Explorer showed the value.

I also have some program installed that reads the tags in the properties window, and it also says the value under Artist.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

shAf

Re: Windows file properties: no 'Artist' tag
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 05:21:39 am »

I don't seem to be able to reproduce this.

I put a file in a directory and removed the tag with MC.  Then the details showed totally empty with Explorer.

Then I tagged the artist and let MC write the tag.

Then the field "Contributing artists" in Explorer showed the value.

I also have some program installed that reads the tags in the properties window, and it also says the value under Artist.
I had multiple file selected at the time--I wonder if that made a difference(?)
cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland
Pages: [1]   Go Up