INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: fine tuning settings in MC and Id for Gungnir DAC  (Read 1502 times)

dls123

• Recent member
fine tuning settings in MC and Id for Gungnir DAC
« on: July 13, 2017, 09:43:30 pm »

Hi,
First off let me say the Id is working perfectly and sounds wonderful.  I have one last small issue.  At the beginning of songs I often get a small pop, like surface noise on an old record.  Then it is dead quiet.  I am using the HW: ALSA driver direct hardware with no conversions driver.  I have played with settings and have a 100 ms live playback latency and that helped a bit.  Any ideas on what might be causing the issue or what settings I might change?  Again, it is only in the first few seconds of a track.

Otherwise it works flawlessly and sounds great driving the multibit Gungnir via USB.
Any idea if the optical output from the NUC might sound better?  I can get a cable $5-10 so I guess it is a cheap experiment.

thanks,
Don

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: fine tuning settings in MC and Id for Gungnir DAC
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 06:36:06 am »

I believe the pop is a problem with the DAC.  You can try:

1.  Use MC's option to "Play leading silence".
or
2.  Use MC's DSP Studio > Output Settings to force everything to the same bit rate and sample rate.
or
3.  Another USB DAC

dls123

• Recent member
Re: fine tuning settings in MC and Id for Gungnir DAC
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 02:48:00 pm »

I believe the pop is a problem with the DAC.  You can try:

1.  Use MC's option to "Play leading silence".
or
2.  Use MC's DSP Studio > Output Settings to force everything to the same bit rate and sample rate.
or
3.  Another USB DAC

Hi Jim,
Thanks!  I changed the play leading silence from 1/4 second to 1 second and that fixed it.  The DAC continues to lock onto hi res signals with no trouble and no more little pop at startup.  One last question.  Does the optical out in the NUC version support all resolutions?   I will try an optical cable for grins, but not if the NUC cannot output hi res data.

thanks,
Don
Pages: [1]   Go Up