INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Separate Folder for JRiver Media Center metadata  (Read 1977 times)

HTPC Videophile

• World Citizen
Separate Folder for JRiver Media Center metadata
« on: July 14, 2017, 03:31:30 am »

Why can't JRiver Media Center store the JRSidecar.xml files in a separate folder in app data folder like the rest of applications on PC do. The developer should understand that the user uses other options too to play his  media files. With all the mess created by the Media Center in the original video directory, the user has no option to use the folder as an input to other players. Even if it were not so, just imagine if all other software applications behaved in such a manner. what a garbage the user's system would have turned out to be. This is definitely a flaw of Media Center. If i use hide option, i would have to exercise that universally for the entire system. JRiver Media center is just one of the many applications on any user's system. A single software cannot be expected to hijack and make a mess of user's video directory which is also used by a number of other media players.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Separate Folder for JRiver Media Center metadata
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 06:25:41 am »

We made a choice.  I think it's reasonable.  Sorry you don't agree.

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 07:14:22 am »

The sidecar files serve only one purpose: To store tags outside of the MC database, as a "backup" in case of re-importing the media is required for whatever reason - primarily because we can't write tags directly to a multitude of video formats (like we can with audio, where the sidecards are therefor not required).
To actually be able to do facilitate this purpose, the sidecar files need to be stored in a place where they can be found easily and associated to the video file they belong to - and that is the same places the video resides at.

If you don't want this tag "backup" at all, you can disable the sidecar files, you are not losing any MC functionality - other then being able to preserve the tags outside of MCs main database, of course.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

HTPC Videophile

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 07:53:45 am »

Thanks Hendrik for the clarification. I 'll then safely proceed with the deletion if it doesn't affect the player's functionality.
Pages: [1]   Go Up