INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WDM Driver/Spotify 44.1K crackles & pops, 48K works fine  (Read 2853 times)

HamishNorton

• Recent member
WDM Driver/Spotify 44.1K crackles & pops, 48K works fine
« on: July 14, 2017, 05:36:10 pm »

I have tried many combinations of input latency and output buffer to get the WDM driver to work with Spotify when set to 44.1k in shared mode (so therefore no resampling?). I cannot get it to work without crackles and pops every now and then. However it seems to work well when shared mode sampling rate is set to 16 bits 48K (so something is resampling Spotify's stream?), and be mostly independent of input latency and output buffer. I am using an RME Multiface II and convolution to implement a 4-way crossover. If any of this helps you deal with the crackling/popping at 44.1k, I am happy to help debug. It may be helpful to others to change the shared mode bit depth and sampling rate if they cannot otherwise resolve crackling/popping with the WDM driver.

HamishNorton

• Recent member
Re: WDM Driver/Spotify 44.1K crackles & pops, 48K works fine
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 09:09:48 am »

An update - I thought I would try 88.2k, but the crackles and pops returned. Setting back to 48k then did not fix the problem. So I disabled the WDM driver, restarted JRiver, re-enabled WDM, restarted JRiver and the crackles and pops are gone. I am using live latency of 250ms and output buffer of 50ms, but changing these settings doesn't seem to affect behavior as long as I avoid "minimum".

Lefisu63

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2017, 03:23:49 pm »

Hi,

UPDATE: Sorry - I've thought it's an USB device - so I'm sure this doesn't help .. but fyi:

MS has implemented the "USB Audio Class 2.0" with the latest Windows "Creators Update".

ronkupper

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 12:51:43 am »

I am also having disturbing cracks and pops with the WDM driver.

Sometimes it can work OK for several hours before starting to crack and pop. Sometimes it seems to be related to CPU consumption but most of the times it just cracks and pops for no apparent reason and restarting the PC provides only a short resolution. 

It happens with playing from Chrome (Youtube, Soundcloud) and Tidal Desktop (probably everything) through the WDM driver but does not happen when playing the same apps directly or when playing media with JRiver so I know it is something with the WDM Driver.

Seems like I tried everything (Latency settings, buffer, sampling, others) but the possible combinations are many and it is like blind troubleshooting.

Any suggestions?

P.S for the OP I suggest editing the original subject to better reflect the issue (no fix @ 48k as you said, just random).

HTPC (Origen ae) | Fronts: Quadral Platinum M50 | Sub: JL Audio E112 | Center: Quadral Platinum M10 Base | Surrounds: Morel SP2 | Power: Emotiva XPA-5 | Pro: Emotiva UMC-200 | TV: Panasonic P50S60 | XTZ Room Analyzer II Pro | Dirac Live Full

Lefisu63

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2017, 05:59:44 am »

I am also having disturbing cracks and pops with the WDM driver.

It happens with playing from Chrome (Youtube, Soundcloud) and Tidal Desktop (probably everything) through the WDM driver but does not happen when playing the same apps directly or when playing media with JRiver so I know it is something with the WDM Driver.

Seems like I tried everything (Latency settings, buffer, sampling, others) but the possible combinations are many and it is like blind troubleshooting.

Please read this (problem + answer) and follow the links (also try the special mouse settings if it reduces the problem) - I hope this helps.

https://superuser.com/questions/1137033/usb-lag-when-mouse-cursor-changes

You should try to install LatencyMon 6.51 and find out the driver with the problem. If it is the DirectX 12 driver it is the graphics driver. Send LM report + screen shots to company which is responsible for the driver.

I don't know if you have an external USB audio device - but the company who delivers the audio driver should support the new "USB Latency Buffer" value (added with new USB audio protocol 2.0) (finally a new driver version required).

Regards
Pages: [1]   Go Up