INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What bit depth does wdm driver support?  (Read 3506 times)

tyler69

• Citizen of the Universe
What bit depth does wdm driver support?
« on: July 22, 2017, 12:00:22 pm »

In windows sound settings, I see that it supports a bit depth of 16bit only. Is that because of my setup or is this the only bit depth the wdm driver supports?

tyler69

Re: What bit depth does wdm driver support?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 07:01:34 am »

bump

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 08:15:18 am »

On my system I can pick 24-bit for any sample rate as well with the JRiver WDM driver.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

tyler69

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 08:19:01 am »

thanks matt. does your jriver sound device say that 16bit and 24bit are supported? what might be the reason that for me it says 16bit only?
edit: it says 16 bit only also on another computer running mc (please see attached screenshot).

tyler69

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 07:04:50 am »

can somebody please check their jriver audio device for available bit depths?

RD James

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 07:21:01 am »

It lists 16-bit on that page, but I am able to select 24-bit as the default format.
Audio Path reports a 24-bit input and the Bitter VST plugin also reports 24-bit during playback. (or 16-bit if the device is set to that)

tyler69

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2017, 02:19:42 am »

thanks. i checked, same here. maybe a wiki article on the functionality would be benefitial for users.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2017, 08:42:41 pm »

thanks. i checked, same here. maybe a wiki article on the functionality would be benefitial for users.

If you produce a good write up of the Bit Depth issue when using the WDM Driver, that I can understand and verify, then I will add it to the WDM Driver Wiki Article.

It will need to discuss the implications of using DirectSound in Windows when you play back say a 24bit audio file via the WDM Driver, if that driver is set to 16bit. i.e. DirectSound does a conversion of the 24bit audio to 16bit audio before passing it to the WDM Driver. The implications are different if the player being used can output in WASAPI of course.

For example, I tested the 16/24bit issue by playing a 24bit/96kHz file using Windows Media Player and the WDM Driver set to a Default Format of 16bit/48kHz, and MC showed the audio input as 16bit/48kHz in the Audio Path. When I set the Default Format of 24bit/48kHz, MC showed the audio input as 24bit in the Audio Path. So Windows DirectSound was converting the 24bit audio to 16bit before passing it to MC. It was also converting 96kHz to 48kHz.

What happens if you play a file using a player that can be output via WASAPI?

Those are just my brief thoughts of what should be in an article. Get to it, if you wish. Just post the article here and I will attempt to verify and then post to the Wiki. Note that I may (probably will  ;D ) edit what you write, if it seem necessary.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

tyler69

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2017, 01:02:28 am »

sorry, but my knowledge on this would be a copy-paste of your post and maybe some infos i got from hendrik in another thread. even if i would have knowledge on this: in my opinion, such documentation should come from jriver as stated in another thread recently.
Pages: [1]   Go Up