INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver stability issues  (Read 2205 times)

jabber

JRiver stability issues
« on: July 23, 2017, 12:32:13 pm »

I've been experiencing stability issues with JRiver.  It started with MC21 and I am still experiencing it with MC23 trial version.  I have an ethernet network and have MC23 installed on two Windows machines.  One machine is Windows 7 Professional and the other is Windows 10 Home edition.  Both machines have 16 GB RAM. I have 2 external Hard drives hooked up to each machine.  One drive contains my video collection the other my audio collection.  For Audio listening I am using an Onkyo TX NR 838 using the DLNA functions on the amp and using 24 Bit Audiophile Media Server on JRiver.  JRiver will stay up sometimes for almost 2 hours and then crash or sometimes for 10 minutes and then crash.  This occurs on either Windows machine and also occurs on other Onkyo amps that I have on the network.  In the past when I have experienced stability issues with earlier versions of JRiver I was able to get around them by loading new video drivers or by reloading the Microsoft C++ Libraries that hasn't made a difference nor has disabling by virus software.  I would appreciate some assistance in pinpointing the issue.  I have a crash dump from my Windows 7 machine which I am attaching compressed as a RAR file.  Thanks for your help.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: JRiver stability issues
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2017, 12:36:32 pm »

...  I was able to get around them by loading new video drivers or by reloading the Microsoft C++ Libraries that hasn't made a difference nor has disabling by virus software. 
If it is related to antivirus software, disabling AV may not be enough.  Uninstall the AV software to test.

Please try this post on the wiki:
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Troubleshooting_Guide

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2017, 12:42:14 pm »

It would also be worth trying to run your setups with just one local drive and playing back locally (not DLNA) with one playing just audio and the other just video.  That might help point to where the problem lies.

Are the drives USB 3.0?  Are they all plugged into USB 3.0 ports?

jabber

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2017, 12:50:37 pm »

I am never playing the video or audio simultaneously. What I mean is either I am listening to audio from the Audio drive or watching a video from the Video drive, both drives are not being accessed at the same time.  The video drive is USB 3.0 and the Audio drive is USB 2.0. Media center crashes whether I am viewing video or listening to audio.  It also crashes after being idle.  I can bring up media center on either Windows machine, not access any media and when I check on media center an hour later it has crashed.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2017, 03:57:38 pm »

Please try what I suggested.

jabber

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2017, 10:03:00 am »

I successfully played audio and video on both machines locally.  First I used the local drive C for audio and video and then I used the external drives.  The video resides on a USB 3.0 drive and the audio on USB 2.0 drives.  JRiver MC 23 has been running without incident on both windows machines for over 48 hours in local mode.  The problem seems to be with DLNA do you concur? How can we troubleshoot what is causing the DLNA to fail? Thanks for your help.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2017, 10:11:52 am »

If it's DLNA that is causing problems, try user AndrewFG's analyzer.  It's in his signature.  You can find his posts on the Media Network board.

MikeO

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2017, 11:37:51 am »

Have you tried excluding the external drives from the antivirus scan.

It sorted me out. I use win 10 with Windows defender. You can specify in the settings to not scan certain folders.

I rip or download into AV scanned folders for safety then transfer to unscanned folders once I am happy

Mike
Pages: [1]   Go Up