INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Just upgraded to MC23 from MC21, bought license, how to get data across?  (Read 1695 times)

Windcrest77

• Junior Woodchuck

hello,

I just installed MC23 with a newly purchased license. I still have MC21 installed and that is still showing all my old playlists and library.

However MC 23 is NOT showing any of my old MC 21 playlists nor does it have my 250,000 songs in it.

How do I do an upgrade yet keep all my old data the same with just a new version? It has taken me years to make these playlists and I cannot do it all over again.

Thanks
Rick

Windcrest77

• Junior Woodchuck

Nevermind, I just figured it out I had to do a restore of the MC 21 library from a backup.

I needed to go into MC21 and do a library backup. Then go into MC23 and do a library restore.

Wow this is kind of a dangerous installation process, generally I always uninstall the old version whenever I install a new version of anything. In this case I randomly decided not to uninstall MC21 first. Thats the only thing that saved me here, I had to do a backup in MC21 in order to restore literally 8 years of manual library work to MC23, I couldnt do that had I uninstalled MC 21 and I would have been screwed.

Also the installer should let people know how to get their libraries back when they do an upgrade so they wouldn't have to ask on a forum or go hunt down a wiki like I did here. Just simply tell them to go to the old version, do a backup then a restore in the new version.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe

Don't worry.  Generally speaking, when you uninstall MC, it leaves the library behind on disk.  So you could have pointed MC23 to that library directory.

Also, MC makes automatic library backup files every few days. If you look on disk, you'll probably find that you have more than a dozen library backups going back many months.  You could have used any one of these backups to restore your library also.

It's GREAT that you figured out how to do in on your own.  You got to make an up to the second backup and get absolutely everything.  Congrats.  :)

Brian.

Windcrest77

• Junior Woodchuck

It's GREAT that you figured out how to do in on your own.  You got to make an up to the second backup and get absolutely everything.  Congrats.  :)

Brian.

Thanks Brian!

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

Also, when you uninstall an older version, it asks if you want a complete uninstallation, or whether you are upgrading to a newer version. If the latter, it asks that you uncheck the option that will delete the libraries.
Pages: [1]   Go Up