INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PC 4K Video - I Know Nothing  (Read 2539 times)

rec head

• Citizen of the Universe
PC 4K Video - I Know Nothing
« on: July 24, 2017, 10:12:35 am »

I'm thinking of changing my HTPC from a huge tower with all the drives in it (in the TV room) to a NUC for playback and a NAS for storage. This got me thinking about 4K video. I'm wondering if there is or will be any commercial 4k content for download and playback from the PC? I'm talking about full UHD disc quality with HDR of movies and TV shows. Right now I get 4k on disc or through a streaming box. If ripping UHD discs was an option I would definitely be building a PC to do it.

If it looks like I'll just keep getting UHD discs and watching 4k Netflix there doesn't seem to be a reason for getting a computer that can do ROHQ. If there is something I'm missing please advise.

Manfred

Re: PC 4K Video - I Know Nothing
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 12:28:52 pm »

-ripping of UHD is disc is not possible due to copy right protection
-With POWERDVD you could play UHD Blu Ray's (very restricted HW requirements) on a PC/HTPC. From a usability POV I like MC with JRemote much, much more  :).
-I don't know about any commercial 4k content for downloading
-If you look for a NUC be aware that the strongest CPU/iGPU is  Core™ i7-7567U with  Intel® Iris™ Plus Graphics 650 with a video passmark of 1841 (a gtx 1060 has a video passmark of 8714). So ROHQ settings exclude the higher algorithm like NEEDI3.
-I have not seen any experience report for the NUC7i7BNH using ROHQ
-I use my PC for up scaling any video content to 4k
WS (AMD Ryzen 7 5700G, 32 GB DDR4-3200, 2x2 TB SDD, LG 34UC98-W)-USB|ADI-2 DAC FS|Canton AM5 - File Server (i3-3.9 GHz, 16GB ECC DDR4-2400, 46 TB disk space) - Media Renderer (i3-3.8 GHz, 8GB DDR4-2133, GTX 960)-USB|Devialet D220 Pro|Audeze LCD 2|B&W 804S|LG 4K OLED )

robt

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2017, 12:52:39 pm »

My NUC6 I3 is supposed to be 4k compatible. I've tried ROHQ and there are glitches and problems. ROS works fine.... not tried any 4k as I dont have a 4k tv at the moment.

There are lots of downloadable 4k files available but one I saw was 1.1 gb with a play time of 1 minute and 15 seconds! That makes a 2 hour movie about 100gb. That's a lot of data......

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2017, 04:58:18 pm »

If you are looking to build an HTPC without a discrete GPU then I would wait for the Ryzen/Vega APUs. Otherwise I'd look into a micro-ITX build with a Pentium G4560 and a half-size GTX 1060 or the AMD equivalent. Use the money you'd spend on a better CPU on a nice power supply and near-silent cooling (for example a Noctua low-profile CPU cooler and case fans).

rec head

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2017, 05:21:52 pm »

Thanks for the responses. I should have been more clear. I'm looking to either replace my HTPC with a NUC and stick with 1080. Or wait a little while and build a new 4K capable HTPC. I only want to build the 4K HTPC if it looks like it would be able to stream or download movies (at full 4K HDR) that I would otherwise rent on UHD. I haven't heard anything about this type of streaming or downloading and wondering if there is any news on it. I'm not concerned with download size. I have fiber with no cap.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2017, 05:23:06 pm »

Audioseduction

• World Citizen
  • World Class Referance Playback!
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2017, 11:06:58 am »

I play 4K thru my HTPC with no issues.

rec head

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2017, 04:04:45 pm »

What 4K sources are you playing? I'm only concerned with commercial release movies.
Pages: [1]   Go Up