INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 'Fuzzy screen' and disappearing task bar as MC 'hangs' in Windows 10  (Read 2408 times)

Spike1000

• Citizen of the Universe

Question: Are JRriver actively looking into this?

I'm working on my work's laptop at the moment and I've repeatedly and reliably seen this issue on both the latest versions of MC 22 and MC 23. I've seen it occasionally at home too, but my I change  home MC setup much less than on the laptop and I was able to reproduce it at will many times yesterday while getting rid of some temporary libraries and migrating from MC 22 to M23.

It looks like a choked or 'blocked' thread that does come back eventually but you get the grey screen, MC is not responding message, disappearing task bar, spinning wheel of wait and 'fuzzy' screen as the program zooms  to take up the space from the missing task bar. Seems to be a issue with Windows 10 (I don't run Windows 7 any more anywhere)

Anyone interested in picking this up?

Spike

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: 'Fuzzy screen' and disappearing task bar as MC 'hangs' in Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 05:07:50 pm »

How many seconds?  Try counting. 

I've seen something similar that we tracked down to a network share being unavailable. 

Spike1000

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 01:36:42 am »

How many seconds?  Try counting. 

If by this do you mean how long does it 'hang' for, it depends.

First time I saw it (MC 22) it'd 'hang' for about 30 seconds every 2 minutes, repeatedly. That was really annoying  :) That just went away, possibly by a windows update, possibly just went away. This was in the 'spring' of this year. I think.

On the forum the issue was caused by a failing drive.

You've seen it (or at least something similar)  when a network share was unavailable.

Yesterday I saw it on MC 22 and 23 (both latest versions). They each had libraries loaded for which the media files were missing (USB drive not plugged in) they would either hang after a few 10's of seconds or (more likely) when I clicked on the File | Library (to try and delete the active library). I never saw MC recover from that; ended up killing the process. Uninstalled MC 23 to 'remove the active library'. Re installed MC 23 and restored a MC 22 backup from another PC. Restored the settings then restored the library. I then had to clean up the library as I was back where I started MC running with a library but no media files. When I deleted a whole string of podcasts that came from the restore MC 23 hung for a few 10's of seconds while it was deleting the podcast entries, it recovered when the deletion was finished. This makes me think it's some form of choked or bocked thread in MC. I have seen just one other (data analysis) program that does this; you get the 'white screen of wait' when a thread's maxed out or 'stuck'. You leave it long enough and that will recover as long as you don't touch it; not so easy to do on MC as it's interactive by nature.

Currently MC 23 is working fine for me (but I un-install and re-install it yesterday to get rid of references to it's current library and start from scratch).

MC 22 is also working I  think I did something along the lines of making a directory structure on the laptop that matched the (top) location of the media files that came from the restore (even though all the media files didn't exist). This allowed MC to function well enough for me to delete the library and import the media files on the laptop into a new library. I've since moved the media files on the laptop and MC 22 still works (it doesn't do the hanging thing) it just displays the expected 'something went wrong with playback' message as it couldn't find the media file.

I don't load MC Server on the laptop. It's a top of the range i7 laptop with 16GB RAM and SSD so it has plenty of resource. I only play audio files.

I can supply a backup file that caused the problems yesterday if you need it.

Spike

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 06:07:25 am »

It's possible this is related to a Windows update, too.  They've made some changes in USB recently.

We'll try to find an answer.

Spike1000

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2017, 02:04:02 am »

FYI.

Just had the issue this morning (again on the laptop) a radio stream suddenly stopped playing, on clicking on MC it went through the 'hanging' routine for 15seconds or so, then it came back and then it went away again. I restarted MC, FLAC files played fine but the hanging/recovery routine started again on trying access the radio stream.

The internet connection appeared fine and other apps continued to work fine while MC was 'having a moment'.

Just clicked on the radio link again and it just played just fine. Strange.

I wonder if the radio stream had a 'glitch' and MC had trouble trying to recover from the glitched stream?

(You said it may be a Windows USB issue; my music files are on a USB (3, I believe) connected flash drive)

Spike

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2017, 07:10:38 am »

That would be what you could expect if the stream is unavailable.

Spike1000

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2017, 04:49:08 pm »

But certainly not desirable. The task bar disappearing and the app 'zooming' to fill the missing space is certainly a unique response to a resource failing to respond in a timely fashion :-\ I'm glad my web browsers don't do it when accessing a busy website for example.

Edit: The main point I'm making that this is a new(ish) issue with MC. MC never used to do this; 'Something went wrong with playback' was the typical error alert. The strange visual behaviour, application unresponsiveness  and (potential) lack of alert message box under error conditions is an issue and seems to be unique to MC under Windows 10 (ie I've not not seen it with other applications and we run over 700 different windows applications across 15,000+ PCs where I work).

Spike

Dorsai

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2017, 08:48:46 am »

I'm having the same issue whenever MC regains focus. I am just playing flac files stored locally.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Pages: [1]   Go Up