INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Updated to MC23...loads of issues, some may be my ignorance  (Read 1760 times)

skifastbadly

• Junior Woodchuck

I asked earlier in the forum what point there was for me to upgrade to MC23 since I use it exclusively for audio.  I didn't get an answer but I went ahead and did so anyway.  Boy, there are some issues.

First, here is my configuration:  I have three Windows 10 machines and two Raspberry Pi boxes.  Two of the Windows machines have the same files, but on local disc.  Call me paranoid, I like lots of copies, and I don't want any wifi lag or drop outs when I'm playing audio through my reasonably high end music systems.   The third Windows box is a laptop, and with that and the RPIs, I play over the network.

On my Raspberry Pi players the upgrade caused the access key to change.  This required me to go to the gizmo and JRemote apps on my phone and tablet and re-enter that.  On one of the Windows boxes, the libraries were all lost and had to be rebuilt.  On the same box, every time I fire up MC23 I get the Windows message "Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your computer?" which is annoying as hell.

Something else...I had a library named "FLAC" and while it doesn't show up in the "Playing From" list, when I tried to re-create it, MC changed the name to FLAC (1) which indicates to me that it 'knows' about the other library somehow, even though I cannot see, access, rename, or delete it.

If you're contemplating upgrading, you may want to wait a bit until things settle down.

On the other hand if I'm missing something simple, please chime in.

Spike1000

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Updated to MC23...loads of issues, some may be my ignorance
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 12:09:18 am »

I think your issues are easily prevented/fixed.

Make a library backup of MC before upgrading to a new version.

If the new version of MC doesn't doesn't pick up the settings from the old version simply restore the library backup into the new install. No lost libraries, no need to rebuild anything and your access keys won't change.

MC takes regular backups so a recent automatic one from the old version will probably still work for you now and reset things to how they were.

It looks like the old version of MC is still set to run on start up. Set this to 'run at startup: Nothing' in options otherwise they 'fight' and you get prompted that MC wants to make changes to your PC every time it fires up as you've seen.

Spike

skifastbadly

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 10:49:47 am »

Thanks Spike, your comments make sense.  I would have expected to have MC23 automatically pick up libraries etc.

Your last comment about having MC22 run on start up is exactly right, and you must know this product very well to be able to pick that up.

Ski

Spike1000

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 11:50:10 am »

Thanks Spike, your comments make sense.  I would have expected to have MC23 automatically pick up libraries etc.

It can and does do; it sometimes doesn't (upgrading when the account MC runs as under is not an admin is one case where it doesn't seem to).

To be honest the backup and restore is very simple, fast and reliable if you need it.

I only know what I know. There's many people who know far more than me, but together we seem to make a great team  :)

Spike

Pages: [1]   Go Up